Bar getting too hot?

/ Bar getting too hot? #1  

Rio_Grande

Platinum Member
I was cutting today and my bar got really hot. It is throwing oil so I think it is lubricating. My chain is a bit sloppy side to side in the bar slot. End roller is fine.

Wondering if my bar has finally gave out?

/ Bar getting too hot? #2  
Heat is the result of friction. If chain is sloppy side to side, I'd say the bar is finished. They're relatively inexpensive. Remember that in the world of chainsaws, there is no stronger imperitive than "Safety first"!
Mike

/ Bar getting too hot? #3  
Do you have the right size chain on your saw?... for example is it possible you put a .050 chain on a .058 bar? If the chain is the right size then maybe your bar can be reconditioned... bar rails and groves can be fixed. There is a tool to tighten the groove...

Bailey's - WoodlandPRO Chain Saw Bar Rail Closer

/ Bar getting too hot? #4  
I would agree its you bar causing your problems. I be willing to say if you purchased a new bar and chain the problem would disappear.

/ Bar getting too hot? #5  
Is your chain sharp, a dull chain will heat up the bar fast. Steve

/ Bar getting too hot? #6  
When a bar heats up 1st thing to check is chain sharpness, even a straight cutting chain can be dull{usually they cut to one side when dull}. When I run mine if the saw isn't pulling itself through the wood then it needs to be sharpened. If you're applying any force to the cut then IMO chain is dull. If it is the bar they can be fixed, if it isn't to far gone. I'd also check the clutch for wear while you have everything else apart. What type of saw are you running?

/ Bar getting too hot? #7  
What kind of saw would be of great help to know as well.

And I agree, dull chains get hot quicker.

A couple of ways to tell when dull

1. as already mentioned, when the saw stops pulling and you have to force it through the cut. A sharp chain is able to cut with no pressure at all on the front handle.

2. You can tell it's dull if you start throwing powder instead of the big square chips. If your sawdust looks like when you use a circular saw in the garage cutting 2x4's, you are dull.

3. If the top to the cutters look dirty, it is a good indication that they are dull. A good sharp chain keeps the top plate of the cutter nice and shiney.

It is hard to judge by your post what your level of knowledge is on a saw, so if I say something really basic like talking to someone that has never owned a saw, dont take offense to it.

How did you verify the chain is getting lube? Did you hold the nose next to a peice of cardboard, or peice of wood and verify?? Did you verify AFTER the bar got hot?? Sometimes the oiler can work just fin when you headd out to the woods, but somewhere in the middle of you day, something can become lodged in the oiler hole in the bar and overheat the bar.

Do you sharpen your own chains? If so, do you lower the rakers as well? As stupid as it sounds, I had an uncle that has cut for years and never knew the rakers needed lowered. He sharpened his own chains too. So If you have sharpened 3-4 times and havent lowered the rakers, you may have a sharp chain but not allowing it to take a bite and that could cause problems.

Good luck and post back with some more info.

/ Bar getting too hot? #8  
Hi LD1,

I know that you're supposed to lower the rakers I've just not had to do it yet. But its time now.

I have a chain sharpener (grinder). Do you happen to know how one goes about lowering the rakers? Do you set the depth stop and grind the raker to a certain height?

/ Bar getting too hot? #9  
I use a hand file on the rakers. But I also use a granberg style sharpening guide to hand sharpen as well.

There is also depth guages you can buy for a few bucks and hand file the rakers as well. I just free hand. A good sharp file and it only takes a few strokes off of each to reset the depth.

And most raker files are fine and only about 6" long. And they dont have "teeth" on the side/edge of the file either so you dont damage your cutter tooth.

/ Bar getting too hot? #10  
Heres what I use, its called a Sharpforce by Husquvarna. This will sharpen the cutters and the followers at the same time. This is all I ever use, and the best part is you can do it in the woods without taking the chain off the bar.You can also order some like it from Baileys.
Sharpforce.gif