Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #21  
A few of my stihls had a green strap - probably the antikickback chains that i hate.

ken

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements.
On a 290 I think you have to much bar now! I like the way they run with a 16"! To put a solid nose on will mean more horsepower loss.

It came with an 18in bar and a low kickback chain. I upgraded to the 20in bar and RSC chain shortly after the purchace. It cuts better with the 20in bar by far but I'm positive that is due to the RSC chain. The horsepower loss with the solid nose bar makes sense. No sprocket = more drag. I'll give one of the Oregon bars with an end sprocket a try and stick with the Stihl chains. Thanks for all the input guys!

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements.
The key to the "best" rating is what criteria was utilized. Metal used, lamination amounts, hardness, etc. etc. Also what I think is peculiar is that hardnose bars are often called "professional" bars or "bars for the professional" Well, I've done all kinds of cutting and got paid for it for 30 years so I guess I was a professional and cannot think of a situation where I prefered having a hardnosed bar. It is not like we are cutting cement and I would also assume some professionals like a solid bar, I'm not one of them. I can easily understand how misleading an ad for something like this can be especially when they are prioritizing something like "quality". Get a quality sprocket bar and you'll be a step ahead of the game.

Thanks for your input. That cleared up the whole "best rating" that I was totally confused on. If I wan't more performance, I guess I need to buy a bigger dang saw. LOL!

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #24  
Newbury, use a crayon, I use logging crayons but have used regular before. To make it stick better I rub the chain{one tooth} while it is still hot. If the chain has allready cooled down then I just hit one tooth with my lighter then rub the crayon over that tooth. Easy to see does not harm anything and melts of in the 1st few cuts.
Gee all good ideas, but like so often not the easy permanent solution I was looking for.
I use a dab of paint thank you, but it seems all the answers are along the lines of no.