Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #1  

Topkicker

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
I have been thinking about trying an Oregon solid nose 20in bar OREGON brand Laser-Tip Plus Solid-Nose guide bars for chainsaws with an Oregon brand Super 20 chain on my MS 290. Does anyone run this setup? I'm currently running a 20in Stihl bar with a RSC (full chisel) chain. Will I gain any performance with the Oregon? Thanks in advance for any input.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #2  
Not sure on the bar, but I have had the best use out of Stihl chain.

My Husky has a Husky bar and Oregon chain. Bar seems as well built as my Stihl. Chain though? Stihl all the way. Just seems to hold up better.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #3  
I have never found a chain that is sharper than Stihl chain.

Ken

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #4  
I switched to Oregon Power Match bars and Oregon LGX Chisel chain. I have NO regrets. Check out Baileys and Amicks on line stores. Significant savings over what Stihl charges and 97% as good.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #5  
If you can get stihl chain at a good price, it is by far the best. A near second that I have found is the woodland pro that baileys sells. The rest are all about the same. Carlton, windsor, orgeon (the ones with the blue cutters) are all about the same but not quite as good as the other two I mentioned.

I was told awhile back that stihl chain is better because the use more chrome in the steel during MFG'ing. I don't know if that is true but there cutters do seem to be the hardest. The problem is price. The cheapest I can get a 24" loop of stihl full chisel is ~ 24 bucks. I can get the woodland pro for ~ $16-17. For the money, that gives the edge to woodland IMO.

Same story with the bars too. I have ran oregon a lot due to price and avalibility. Stihl bars are about 2x's the cost, and as good as they are, they don't last 2x's as long IMO. So Money ahead to go with oregon.

The last three bars we bought were carlton bars made by TSUMURA. They are a japanese company an I have heard nothing but good things about these bars on other websites. But they are a discontinued bar that required a little modification to the mount. But for the price, it was well worth it to me. Bailey's - Carlton 24" Premium Sprocket Tip Chainsaw Bar 84 Drive Links

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #6  
I use an oregon bar, but cannot recommend a Solid Tip bar, they just burn the chain bottom and wear. The sprocket tip is years superior to solid. I have several of their chains too, the same guage.Jy.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #7  
Be very careful that you get enough chain oil diispensed. Stihl has these highly engineered bars and chains which require less chain oil.

So on my 660's w/ a 28" Stihl bar and 28" stihl chain I get enough oil when it's cranked full. If I put on a non Stihl chain it's not enough.

attachment.php

Forget about it on the 42" bar, I hire a fuel truck to make deliveries.:)

Attachments

• d-660-s-8x6.JPG
    d-660-s-8x6.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 13,288
   / Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #8  
I will never go back to oregon chains over stihl chains. Stihl last longer and stays sharp longer, so IMO stihl is actually cheaper in the long run. I have nothing against oregon, I just feel stihl is that much better.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #9  
i agree with the others,

Oregon roller tip bars are great, but its hard to beat Stihl's chain

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #10  
I've had the best luck with Stihl bars, and I've tried about all of them, Oregon bars seem to be too soft, and wear faster.
Chain, Stihl has the best hands down.