Wood Cuttin weather

/ Wood Cuttin weather #11  
Deer will be fine,matter fact you just might catch couple deer checking you out,go back the next day or so check for tracks..you'll be surprise.

Hunters..good hunter will understand,bad hunter wouldn't care if you were cutting wood..plowing..building etc.

/ Wood Cuttin weather #12  
Deer are probably actually more worried about the guy sneaking around than the one making all the noise. ;)

Yes it is fw weather! I trailered my tractor last Saturday to the shelter belt I have been working on for awhile and collected about 20 of the 12-16" x 40' Elms I knocked down last year, the bark is fell off and moisture is 5-7% just right.

I brought a swamper and a man to run the trim saw, my swamper hooked the chains and I did the pullin from out of the woods on over to the trimmer where he cut them up into 15' logs then me and swampy loaded a few car trailers full of logs we made a good team got a lot of work done in one day.

We then brought them home to be bucked and split at the shop at my convenience. (the property got sold is why I took them in 15' lengths)

/ Wood Cuttin weather #14  
It's getting to chainsaw weather here - has been in the low 70's here this week. That still equals a lot of sweat for me. Cut for about 2 hrs. yesterday - still too warm.

/ Wood Cuttin weather #15  
..................... Elms I knocked down last year, the bark is fell off and moisture is 5-7% just right.
................QUOTE]

Hate to tell you, but no way the wood is that dry. (unless you are in the desert somewhere :D ).

How did you measure that moisture content?

/ Wood Cuttin weather #16  
..................... Elms I knocked down last year, the bark is fell off and moisture is 5-7% just right.
................QUOTE]

Hate to tell you, but no way the wood is that dry. (unless you are in the desert somewhere :D ).

How did you measure that moisture content?

Well you did and I am not.

The tester is a General instruments concrete and wood moisture tester I got at home depot.

/ Wood Cuttin weather #17  
We have a small tract that we had clearcut in 1999 because the southern pine beatles were decimating the mature pines. We told the logger to not clean up the tops but to leave them where they fell for natural regeneration.

This worked all too well. Now we have a tract of southern pines as thick as fleas on a hound dog's back. The trees will never amount to anything without a serious thinning.
The trees that need to be removed (1" to 6") are not marketable, we will either have to pay someone to thin the trees or do it ourselves.

I'm thinking I will see how much pine firewood I can cut this winter for use next winter. I will also see how much progress I am making thinning the pines. Most people around here only use oak or hickory for firewood, but I've burned enough pine brush heaps to know that properly seasoned southern pine burns wery well.

Hunters? I haven't seen or heard any legitimate hunters around our property in years. The young people have moved away and the old people don't or can't hunt. Last winter I did find two dead deer that were apparently shot by roadrunners, not to be mistaken for hunters.

/ Wood Cuttin weather #18  
I'm thinking I will see how much pine firewood I can cut this winter for use next winter. I will also see how much progress I am making thinning the pines. Most people around here only use oak or hickory for firewood, but I've burned enough pine brush heaps to know that properly seasoned southern pine burns wery well.

Hunters? I haven't seen or heard any legitimate hunters around our property in years. The young people have moved away and the old people don't or can't hunt. Last winter I did find two dead deer that were apparently shot by roadrunners, not to be mistaken for hunters.

Pine firewood - careful of creosote buildup
Hunters - can you get your property in a hunt club? I've land in NE Ms. and the hunt club about pays the taxes - PLUS they are an armed guard force for most of the year and diligently check out trespassers, especially during the hunting seasons. I view it as a rural police force that pay me to let them work. Just like Huck Finn and the fence getting whitewashed.

Ad wherabouts in central MS are you?

/ Wood Cuttin weather #19  
Pine firewood - careful of creosote buildup
Pine doesn't create any more creosote than hard wood . It's the burning of unseasoned wood at improper temps that create creosote problems .

/ Wood Cuttin weather #20  
Chainsaw and human activity may move the deer around a little bit and alter their normal routine, but I have had great luck chainsawing in the afternoon and sitting in a stand a couple of hundred yards away later in the day. One of the biggest deer I have ever shot walked across a nearby hillside while I was running the chainsaw! Loose dogs are far more disruptive than people and machinery. Unless they are hunting on your property, hunters may appreciate your activity -- JMHO
A cool smoldering fire is what builds creosote, not softwood. There are large parts of Canada where you can only find softwood to burn and they have been burning it for a long time:eek: