Small Saws - Husky 235 vs Stihl MS170

/ Small Saws - Husky 235 vs Stihl MS170 #1  

Ironhand

Bronze Member
I am going to be buying a second saw very soon and have narrowed my choices to the Husky 235 or Stihl MS170. I have a Husky 365 which has served me well as my "do everything" saw. It's large and powerful enough with a 20" bar to drop and block anything I need to deal with, but it is a little big/heavy for those small cleanup and brush cutting jobs. I would also like a small saw that I can throw on my ATV on those treks through the woods without risking my expensive saw.

My local dealer (who sells both) recommended against the 235 as it is made for Husky by Poulan and suggested the Stihl which looks very nice, felt a bit lighter, and was a little cheaper.

Does anyone have good/bad experiences with either?

/ Small Saws - Husky 235 vs Stihl MS170 #2  
I've never had problems with the poulans. But then again I know how to tune and muffler mod them. The 170 is a light weight for sure and is gutless IMHO. But it is light. Similar poulans weigh more but can cut 2 cuts to its 1.

Now husky has a new strato 435 40cc out you might check into. I have heard good things on it. But dont know if it is in your price range. It's cheaper then retail shown. HUSQVARNA 435 - Chainsaws

I just realized I have a poulan 3516 strato like new on the shelf ( took on trade on toward a 084) that I just muffler modded and tuned the carb, which is the same as 235. Saw is lot heavier then a 170, but like I said will cut circles around it.

Actually not bad if you know how to open the 235 3516 up and tune. I did 3 of them this week alone for guys.

The one on the shelf is for sale with 16" 3/8 LP.

The yellow PP 3516 on the floor was the trade in.

Attachments

• Copy of echo261.jpg
    Copy of echo261.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,004
Last edited:
   / Small Saws - Husky 235 vs Stihl MS170 #3  
I would also like a small saw that I can throw on my ATV on those treks through the woods without risking my expensive saw.

Since you commented on Poulan saws and the want of a cheap saw to take on your ATV... You can get factory reconditioned Poulan Pro 42CC 18" saws at Rural King for $99.00 about every other ad that comes out. The Stihl is by all accounts a much better saw, but about 3X the cost, so it does not meet my definition of a disposable tool. Just my 2 cents. Also, the 18" saw allows for a longer reach when limbing and the occasional larger trunk. And, you won't feel bad when it bounced off your ATV and you run it over. I would have to stop and give a Stihl a proper burial by the side of the trail and erect a monument whereas I would toss my Poulan in the recycle bin and get another one without blinking... no regrets! :laughing:

/ Small Saws - Husky 235 vs Stihl MS170
All good info. Thanks guys.

xyz, can you give some specifics about modding and tuning the 235 if I end up with that model?

/ Small Saws - Husky 235 vs Stihl MS170 #5  
All good info. Thanks guys.

xyz, can you give some specifics about modding and tuning the 235 if I end up with that model?

If you end up with a 235 etc just let me know in a PM. I already gave someone my # so I could walk them through one later too.

Just remember the husky 235 / PP3516 is 2lbs heavier around 10.?lb compared to 8.?lb PHO weights. But 235 3516 cuts a heck of alot better in the wood then 170.

/ Small Saws - Husky 235 vs Stihl MS170 #6  
I can't comment on the Husky, I run mostly Stihl. I have 180, 026, 036, 361, 045 and most recently a Husky 372. My father is 62 overweight and out of date, he wanted a light weight saw for himself, and we bought the 180 a couple of years ago. He doesn't cut too much but I find myself grabbing the 180 a lot, way more than I ever thought I would. He carries it on the tractor while skidding to trim branches and part the occasional log. He also cuts a cord or 2 of firewood a year, but I prune trees, cut fence posts ect with it constantly. I carry it bush hogging, riding fence, and just about anytime the need may arise. Before we bought that saw I never would have recomended a homeowner saw, now I would not be without one. We have several saws if we want power, but I like the lightweight and with the little chain (I am not sure of the pitch, the rest of mine are 3/8) it cuts awsome.

Just my 2 cents

/ Small Saws - Husky 235 vs Stihl MS170 #7  
I bought a MS170 in 2008 specifically to cut a 6' wide 250' long path down a 30 degree slope. I then turned around and used it to cut up about 2 acres of trees that had been pushed over by a dozer. I had one of my Dad's 026s in the back of my truck the whole time. The 026 only came out when I got the MS170 stuck in a hung log.

My 62 year old Dad has two 026s and a 039. The 039 has been his preferred saw for a few years. This year while preparing for deer season he asked to borrow my MS170 for cutting some limbs. I have not seen it since. His bigger saws seem to be idle now.

So we like our little MS170.

/ Small Saws - Husky 235 vs Stihl MS170 #8  
Weight wise the light weight 170 180 wins hands down. Especially if cutting over your head on smaller limbs.

Bucking cuts or bigger cuts the 235 wins.

Have fun and buy whatever you want, it's your $$$ :thumbsup:.

/ Small Saws - Husky 235 vs Stihl MS170 #9  
Now husky has a new strato 435 40cc out you might check into. I have heard good things on it. But dont know if it is in your price range. It's cheaper then retail shown. HUSQVARNA 435 - Chainsaws

I just bought one of these, but haven't even had a chance to try it out yet. Seems like a great little ultra lightweight saw.

/ Small Saws - Husky 235 vs Stihl MS170 #10  
I messed around with a husky 235 over the weekend and compared it to the poulan 3516. Only thing poulan on that saw I could see was the heart and muffler. 235 was built much slimmer and balanced with nice spring AV over the poulan version.