Anyone use a Cant

/ Anyone use a Cant #21  
My peavey goes in the loader bucket every time I'm getting serious wood hauled out or cut. Great for rolling stubborn stuff, or simply getting leverage where you need it. I keep threatening to add two steel loops on the loader upright to hold it in place.

The wood handle is better in my opinion, your fingers and wet gloves won't freeze to it in January. I'm a fair big boy, haven't broken mine yet, or even come close. Mine's older than dirt, the old man had it before I was around, as far as I know.

Sean

/ Anyone use a Cant #22  
Mine are used on the beach and it seems like after @10 years they get a little rot right where the wood goes into the metal. They always go into the shop when not in use but get wet with saltwater every use, maybe that's y:confused::confused:

Rick

/ Anyone use a Cant #23  
I have a small cant hook that has about a 3' handle that I use while cutting wood, comes in real handy when cutting on the ground. I can cut almost through all the way down the log and then roll it over with the cant hook and finish the cuts without getting in the dirt.

/ Anyone use a Cant #24  
I have one of those high dollar 5' blue Log Rite cant hooks.
They work ok, but I actually bent mine trying to twist loose a hung up cedar tree; and I only weigh 160#.
They have a lifetime warranty, but I was in the middle of logging lumber for my house and didn't want to take the time to return it.
I understand that they make stouter model now.
I guess I should return it now that I'm not currently using it and see what they'll do about it.

/ Anyone use a Cant
I have one of those high dollar 5' blue Log Rite cant hooks.
They work ok, but I actually bent mine trying to twist loose a hung up cedar tree; and I only weigh 160#.
They have a lifetime warranty, but I was in the middle of logging lumber for my house and didn't want to take the time to return it.
I understand that they make stouter model now.
I guess I should return it now that I'm not currently using it and see what they'll do about it.

Funny thing is their website doesn't show the heavy duty models. I have seen them on other websites. I even found that if you add a "x" before the part number it brings up the page of the tool.

Cant Hook 60"
Xtreme Duty Cant Hook

Go figure.

/ Anyone use a Cant #26  
I too have several of them made by peavy manuf. in Bangor but the one I use the most is made of 1" pipe, keep it right on the winch behind the tractor and use it often. I broke a wood handle years ago (ran over it with a twitch of wood) and used the hook to build the pipe one and it has never failed me. It has been bent and straigtened (ran over it too, Father always said sharp as a tack and twice as flat headed).

/ Anyone use a Cant #27  
I'd like to get a cant hook for dragging, but what I do is pick up one end of the load with my FEL and throw a chain around it. If I want to cut in place, I'll pick up an end as described and put a log or something under it, then drop the log. One end will be cantilevered so I can lop off rounds without having to roll it.

My peavy is used for rolling logs to complete cuts (when the log is on the ground) and moving really big stuff onto my vertical splitter.

I've got an old log (cedar I think) I just excavated from the brush around it. it's possibly 5 feet in diameter and about 30 feet long. not sure HOW I'll handle that one!

/ Anyone use a Cant #28  
Johnbro, have you thought about milling it up?
Cedar sure has better uses than firewood.
Rick

/ Anyone use a Cant #29  
Johnbro, have you thought about milling it up?
Cedar sure has better uses than firewood.
Rick

I'm not sure what I'll do with it. It's been on the ground for at least 10 years and probably lots more. Problem is it's too big to move and I'd have to cut down a tree and dig out a big stump to get at it for milling. I think I'll borrow my buddy's big saw and cut the end off to see what's in there... If it's good cedar I know a guy with a mill and maybe we could get some wood out of it.

/ Anyone use a Cant #30  
There are chainsaw carvers around looking for such a prize. Might be worth checking them out if at all interested in its value.