Anyone use a Cant

/ Anyone use a Cant #1  

crazyal

Tractor
Kubota, Case, Deere
Does anyone use a Cant, Peavey, or Timber jack on log while out in the woods? I've used a Peavey to load log onto a band mill but they weren't too long, 12' maybe. But what I would like to know is after you limb a tree are they useful to rotate a tree to help get a choker chain around it? Or what about if you have 20 or 30 foot Maple lying on the ground you want to buck up but the entire log is touching the ground. Would one be strong enough to roll the log after you've made some cuts so you could finish them off?

By just looking at the Timber Jacks they don't look like they could lift a large log off the ground so I've never looked too closely at them. I'm thinking a good Cant would be my best bet but I've only used a Peavey. Anyway what are people's thoughts. Good, bad, Peavey, Cant, other.

/ Anyone use a Cant #2  
I get all my logs off the beach from a skiff and the peavey is indispensable from rolling the log on the beach to get the choker on it, to forming the logs into a train once in the water, to moving other logs out of the way, I would be much less effecient without it. Have broke a couple of handles tho so can't lift/roll too much with them.
Rick

/ Anyone use a Cant #3  
If I need to lift a log to cut it into firewood lengths I usually just jam a branch under it and pry on a fulcrum made from another branch. However, I have been thinking of getting a steel one just because the hooks grab better than a branch. I'll be watching this thread for suggestions. Thanks for starting it. :thumbsup:

/ Anyone use a Cant #4  
I use what I think would be called a cant hook, bought at a sale, steel pole with two steel hooks, hard to describe but the pole is curved with a piece of pipe welded at 90 degrees across the bottom. You push the pole against the log, use whichever hook fits the diameter of the log then pull back and allow the handle to go to the ground, now the log is tipped up off the ground in a position for cutting, very handy.

/ Anyone use a Cant #5  
I've found a timber jack to be very useful when cutting firewood to length. Of course, the one we've been using was cheap (Northern Tool), so it broke, but after a bit of scrap metal and a little welding, it's stronger than ever. As far as the peavey or cant hooks go, very useful for dragging and rotating those pesky 20' logs into place. We also use a two man timber carrier to haul the logs onto the trailer for transport.

Of course, we mostly cut poplar and tamarack, so nothing too big. As always, YMMV. ;)

Joe

/ Anyone use a Cant
There's a company that makes them over in Bangor. I don't get over there too often but next time I do I'll stop in. They only sell them with wood handles. I see Northern has them with wood, aluminum, and fiberglass.

/ Anyone use a Cant #7  
I have a wooden handled timberjack and use it often. Saves me from getting the chain in the soil when bucking. You can hoist a good sized piece of wood with one. I replaced the bolt that attaches the "foot" with a bale pin so I can remove it quickly and convert it to a cant hook - very useful for freeing a hung up tree.
-Jim

/ Anyone use a Cant #8  
I have a 5' cant hook that I bought 25+ years ago. It is invaluable for just the use you are asking about. I use it to roll logs while limbing, and also to finish cuts (roll over and keep your chain out of the dirt). The one I have is just like this one.

CM 06260 Cant Hook

/ Anyone use a Cant #10  
I use a couple of cants all the time around the mill/woods, nothing beats it to move logs around. I also have the cheapo from northern tool that comes with a metal leg{Making it a timber jack ??} to lift smaller logs for cutting. I have moved locust{one of the heaviest woods} but I doubt highly it would lift a 20-30 foot sizable log onto the leg. I figured if I needed to I could allways cut the long log into shorter manageable logs.