repair or replace

/ repair or replace #1  

blackie65

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410, IH Super M
I have a Poulan Pro 42cc saw that I bought from Rural King a few years ago. This saw has been great other than the gas cap problem that I have already discussed. Last night the recoil quit working and left me with the starter rope hanging out of the casing. My question is with this being a box store saw, would I be better off repairing or replacing the recoil mechanism. If repair is the answer, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It's nice to have the wood warm me the second time. Get a since of pride everytime I load the furnace. Hopefully get back in the woods to cut more this weekend:)

/ repair or replace #2  
For the price of a new saw compared to the frustration of not having a dependable tool, I'd say get a new one.

/ repair or replace
For the price of a new saw compared to the frustration of not having a dependable tool, I'd say get a new one.

I might have mislead with my original post. I am not thinking of replacing the saw. Just wondering about the recoil mechanism. Repair or replace.
It happened late last night and I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet. I am just looking for advice when I do. Although a new saw does sound nice.

/ repair or replace #6  
It should be relatively easy to fix as Robert said -- if it is just the rope you can do it without the frustration of opening the recoil spring and potentially having to rewind it and put it back:eek:.
Open up the side, thread a new rope through the pulley and then casing, make sure it will recoil, tie the handle back on in the appropriate length -- should be fine- I just did the same on an old McCullough

/ repair or replace #7  
I might have mislead with my original post. I am not thinking of replacing the saw. Just wondering about the recoil mechanism. Repair or replace.
It happened late last night and I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet. I am just looking for advice when I do. Although a new saw does sound nice.

Ahh, ok. Recoil starters are simple, unless you have to get into the coil spring. Probably just a ball stuck in one of the grooves. Use graphite to lubricate.

/ repair or replace #8  
Recoil starters are simple,

When working on them that "Sproing" sound is always so nice to hear! It's usually followed by some other nastier sounds!:D

/ repair or replace #9  
It's usually followed by some other nastier sounds!

Like the chainsaw landing across the room?:eek::eek:
Even after many "practice" sessions with those springs I still try to avoid opening the compartment that holds them if I can avoid it!
Try fixing the old one first then if you cannot or get too frustrated, replace it:p

/ repair or replace
thanks for all the insight :)