chainsaw in storage

/ chainsaw in storage #1  

Danica

Silver Member
Tractor
CNH TC40DA & Ford 1920
Hi, I've had my chainsaw ( Husqvarna 395XP) in storage for nearly a year and a half. I put Stabil in the gas back then but am going back to get it this spring. It cost me quite a bit (nearly $1,000) and I want to ensure it will still work ok and is not ruined or something. My intuition tells me that I did all I could do by putting in the Stabil and running it for 10 minutes. Should I anticipate problems?????

/ chainsaw in storage #2  
I dont think you will have problems, but in the furture maybe do it this way.

The BEST way to store a 2 stroke engine for extended time is very simple.

1.) Add the stabil to the gas/oil mix and run the saw to ensure it is all distributed thru the carb.

2.) After running the saw dump all the gas from it back into the gas container

3.) Start the saw back up and run it until it stalls from no fuel.

4.) If you are storing for a really long time, let it cool, take the plug out and put a tablespoon full of 2-cycle oil into the cylinder.

5.) Put the plug in finger tight and pull the starter cord a few times to distribute the oil around the cylinder wall.

6.) Clean it up and put the machine on the shelf.

Its not really complex or hard to properly store 2-cycle equipment so you don't have problems getting them going when you need it next time.

Most people don't do any prestorage maintenance and then wonder why they dont start and run after 6 or more months of storage.

Craig

/ chainsaw in storage
Cool, that all makes total sense. I'd heard conflicting stories actually. I mean, the old school approach was to just empty the gas and of course, it would get gross in the carburator and ruin it. so then came "just put stabil in and run" Your way of putting stabil in and then running then pouring gas out and (if sufficiently lenghty storage) taking out spark plug and adding some oil makes a ton of sense. I never thought I'd leave it this long. It's all kindof moot, though since it is a REALLY heavy and powerful chainsaw and a bit too much for me...

thank you for your insights!

/ chainsaw in storage #4  
Issue I have seen, and read, is the gas that is available nowadays wrecks havoc on rubber. I recently fixed my Dad's saw. Gas hose had rotted in half. I tried to start it to no avail. Heard somethingroll around when I picked it up. It was the fuel filter; the hose had rotted in two. Remaining hose was mush. Ethanol and other oxygenators in gas these days wreaks havok.

By what you described. I would try and fire it up. Before trying, I would buy a spare spark plug, and also make sure the air filter is clean.

I do not like to use old 2-stroke gas. The gas might be ok, but the oil in the mix tends to break down over time. I'd prefer to spend $5 for new premium gas and fresh Husky 2-stroke oil; small investment in a $1000 saw...

Try to fire it up. If it does not, keep an eye on the spark plug; see if it is wet or not. If not, there's no gas getting to it.

Depending on the saw two hoses can be replaced. Most have a main gas line, and an impulse line. The impulse line is the one that helps "pump" the fuel to the carb.

If it won't fire, look at the plug and post here. Plenty of help here to debug.

Arborist Site is really good too; they have a section devoted to chainsaws; there is a wealth of knowledge there.

/ chainsaw in storage #5  
I'd be sure to dump out any old gas IF the saw was stored with old gas still in it.
Put fresh gas mix in and mine have always started. But max time stored is 2 years or so.
I'd never try to run a saw on old gas.

Shmudda has great storage procedure outlined.

/ chainsaw in storage
hi again -- ok cool, that all makes sense and i will get the spare spark plug just in case. What's scary is what you said the ethanol additive in gasoline does to hoses or whatever. The fact is, that's the type of gas (ethanol added) that is sitting in the chainsaw now. I guess it makes tons of sense to dump that old gas (in an environmentally friendly way) and put in brand new gas even before trying to start it as you've indicated.

Thank you again, this was all good advice!!

Happy new year,

Danica

/ chainsaw in storage #7  
Picked up a new Stihl in California this morning... the shop owner stressed to only store the saw with a full tank... so only fuel and no air was inside... he highly recommended Stihl mid-grade of higher mix with stabil additive already in the mix and to use mid octane name brand fuel.

I did question him by saying I was told to run till dry... he said, not with the new CA fuels... he also said to dump the fuel and refill with fresh and to pump the primer several times which only circulates the fuel to help keep the fuel lines open...

So... don't know other than what I was told today.

/ chainsaw in storage #8  
I always add Stabil or Seafoam when I mix my gas not knowing how fast I'll go through it. Around here we can still get unblended gas and that's all I use. I pretty much do what most other guys here do by draining fuel and running the saw dry and drain chain oil. Only difference is I use marine Storage Seal that I spray in carb to snuff it out and into the cylinder. Always use fresh gas.

/ chainsaw in storage #9  
been around and have used chainsaws for about my whole life and tried every way when storing them, none of it works. without gas the fuel line shrinks becomes brittle and cracks. the diaphragms in the carb dry out and will not work again, with gas, the fuel line disolves and the carb plugs with varnish. what i do now is give them a workout once a month at least and put fresh mix in them and dump the old mix in the atv. i also keep a carb kit, 5 feet of tygon, couple of primer bulbs, coil, and plug for every small engine that i own in a seperate toolbox. it can be a pain. but I learned a long time ago when it absolutely positiveitly needs to run, it won't. ;p

/ chainsaw in storage #10  
And if possible, avoid ethanol in the gas.