NO husqvarna or dolmar??????

/ NO husqvarna or dolmar?????? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Underneath the "chainsaw" section in the main index it says this

"Discuss Stihl, Jonsered, Poulan, Echo, and other chainsaws in this forum"

NO Husky or Dolmar mentions???? Poulan, of all things gets a mention?

/ NO husqvarna or dolmar?????? #2  
Underneath the "chainsaw" section in the main index it says this

"Discuss Stihl, Jonsered, Poulan, Echo, and other chainsaws in this forum"

NO Husky or Dolmar mentions???? Poulan, of all things gets a mention?

Poulan should get a mention,they probably sell more chainsaws than everyone else combined.:eek:

Husqvarna and Dolmar is a oversight. They both make a great product with a long history of professional quality saws.:cool:

It is unfortunate that most people don't know that Poulan used to make professional saws that were world class leaders. I owned and ran a Craftsman/Poulan 4200 for 28 years. I would put it up against any 69cc saw ever built. I lost mine when my barn burned down and had a hard time replacing it. I became infected with CAD and now I own 39 chainsaws. I found a Poulan 4200 that is about the samwe vintage as mine. It has a lot more paint worn off the handle and looks like it has been used a lot. It still is pushing 180 pounds of compression and starts and runs like a new saw. Not bad for something 30 years old that has been used hard. Wait, I take that back. It starts much easier than most of the new saws I have used.

I also have a Poulan 8500. That thing is just over the top. I am in chain saw heaven.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4200-6.JPG
    4200-6.JPG
    537.2 KB · Views: 11,137
  • DSC03567.JPG
    DSC03567.JPG
    578 KB · Views: 10,010
   / NO husqvarna or dolmar??????
Yes poulan used to make good saws. They outsourced to several different companies too. Its hard to keep them all straight. in the 70's-80's they have had dolmar, husky, and partner all make saws for poulan. Like the poulan 5500 and 6000 were made by dolmar. The list goes on. It is just a shame what has happened to their name. All they make now is small homeowner saws:mad:

Also, Is that a dolmar I see in the second pic?? I can't quite tell. I Like Dolmars:D

/ NO husqvarna or dolmar?????? #4  
Yes poulan used to make good saws. They outsourced to several different companies too. Its hard to keep them all straight. in the 70's-80's they have had dolmar, husky, and partner all make saws for poulan. Like the poulan 5500 and 6000 were made by dolmar. The list goes on. It is just a shame what has happened to their name. All they make now is small homeowner saws:mad:

Also, Is that a dolmar I see in the second pic?? I can't quite tell. I Like Dolmars:D

I don't have any Dolmar's. I would love to own a couple but I already have more saws than I can possibly use.:D

All the saws in the second picture are Poulans 330's 375's 3400, 3700, 4200 and the one the foreground is a 8500 5.2 cubic inch 85cc tool that is built like a tank. I think it is probably the last series of large professional saws that was designed and manufactured by Poulan. I think the Poulan Dolmars and Pioneers are newer saws.

Most of the saws in the picture are 20-30 years old. The saying that they just don't build them like that any more is certainly true. I also have a Partner P-85 and a Homelite XL-923. Those are a couple of very impressive older designs also.:D

I don't have any Dolmar's. I would love to own a couple but I already have more saws than I can possibly use.:D

All the saws in the second picture are Poulans 330's 375's 3400, 3700, 4200 and the one the foreground is a 8500 5.2 cubic inch 85cc tool that is built like a tank. I think it is probably the last series of large professional saws that was designed and manufactured by Poulan. I think the Poulan Dolmars and Pioneers are newer saws.

Most of the saws in the picture are 20-30 years old. The saying that they just don't build them like that any more is certainly true. I also have a Partner P-85 and a Homelite XL-923. Those are a couple of very impressive older designs also.:D

The poulan 5500 and 6000 I think were copies of the dolmar 143 and 153 saws. They were mid 80's. So they are certainly not newer. ~25 years old I dont know of any poulan-dolmars newer than that, but I could be wrong.

But the saw in the pics I was asking about is that red-headed-step-child in the middle. (the orange saw). Which poulan model is that one specifically??

/ NO husqvarna or dolmar?????? #6  
I became infected with CAD and now I own 39 chainsaws.

Holy chain-lube! You are gonna make LD1 envious! :)

As he says, not only Dolmar and Husky are not mentioned, where is
Homelite? My first chainsaw experience was a massive Homelite unit that
my dad bought used in the sixties, and I operated a few times back then.

This tiny HL saw in the photo came with my REV-MEC winch, and it was
excellent. A pre-chain-brake unit, I would guess it was from the early
80s, and had only a 12-in bar (with PTO hole). I could operate it one-
handed.

As of a couple days ago, I am now an owner of my 1st Shindaiwa: a model
377 with 39cc engine. I bought it used, as the new ones were 2x, and
I have never touched one before. So far, so good.

A big concern I have with getting another new or current model saw of
any brand is: will the new CARB models be hard to start?

Attachments

• winch2a.jpg
    winch2a.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 2,019
Holy chain-lube! You are gonna make LD1 envious! :)

As he says, not only Dolmar and Husky are not mentioned, where is
Homelite? My first chainsaw experience was a massive Homelite unit that
my dad bought used in the sixties, and I operated a few times back then.

This tiny HL saw in the photo came with my REV-MEC winch, and it was
excellent. A pre-chain-brake unit, I would guess it was from the early
80s, and had only a 12-in bar (with PTO hole). I could operate it one-
handed.

As of a couple days ago, I am now an owner of my 1st Shindaiwa: a model
377 with 39cc engine. I bought it used, as the new ones were 2x, and
I have never touched one before. So far, so good.

A big concern I have with getting another new or current model saw of
any brand is: will the new CARB models be hard to start?

Yea I am kinda envious. But I have probabally owned/ran close to that many. The problem is people usually want them more than I do so I end up selling them. If I can find good bargains, c-list is free, why not try to make a little $$ if ya know what I mean. I usually dont have any trouble. But I hate parting with the dolmars.

And it's funny you mention homelites. Dad has an old blue C-51. 77cc's I think. NO plastic ANYWHERE. Thing feels like it weighs 30lbs. TONS of power, but VEEERRRRYYYY SLOOOOWWWWW running.

/ NO husqvarna or dolmar?????? #9  
Yea I am kinda envious. But I have probabally owned/ran close to that many. The problem is people usually want them more than I do so I end up selling them. If I can find good bargains, c-list is free, why not try to make a little $$ if ya know what I mean. I usually dont have any trouble. But I hate parting with the dolmars.

And it's funny you mention homelites. Dad has an old blue C-51. 77cc's I think. NO plastic ANYWHERE. Thing feels like it weighs 30lbs. TONS of power, but VEEERRRRYYYY SLOOOOWWWWW running.

I forgot about my Pioneer 6-10...103cc and around 31 pounds empty.
I also have a couple of Sears D-49 82cc saws that are all metal, but they are probably more comparable to a C-51, 18 pound power head mid twenties weight....fueled with bar and chain...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• p1.JPG
    p1.JPG
    581 KB · Views: 4,315
  • p11.JPG
    p11.JPG
    575.6 KB · Views: 4,212
  • c_2.JPG
    c_2.JPG
    581.2 KB · Views: 7,098
   / NO husqvarna or dolmar?????? #10  
I had an old Jacobson saw with a Beaver Tail Bar. It was about 16" but 8" wide. Had rope start no recoil. Had a hand pump oiler and ran on gas/30weight non detergent oil. Another fine saw was the Olympic. I have 5 Stihl units now. The oldest was made in West Germany. ( 034AV ) awesome power to weight ratio.