Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20"

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #21  
My big Husky is from about 1973. 99cc. Great saw, that I have had over 20 years.

I still like the feel and balance of Stihl's though.

Some I have because of local dealer, some because of deals I happened upon that were too good to pass up. Husky I get because of a heck of a deal, Stihl because I want it.

My buddy convinced me that I made a mistake buying a Husqvarna, since Stihl made the best chainsaws. After his well-constructed argument I agreed that I would buy a Stihl, just as soon as the Husqvarna gave me any grief. That was 12 years ago, and I'm still cutting firewood every year with the same Husky, waiting for that day when it causes me a problem. :D

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #22  
I've had my Husky for two years now and it may be the most used piece of equipment I own. Had to buy a new bar due to my own error, but it starts easy, cuts clean, and other than sharpening the teeth and removing links occasionally, is trouble-free.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20"
I always find it funny that the farm boss line is a "homeowner grade" saw. I have had one for 7 years and it is a beast. I would go with the saw that you can get serviced and parts for more readily. i have a stihl dealer 1 mile from my house and I would never venture away because whenever I break or need something I can walk over and get it fixed.

For me $40.00 would not be worth it.
Happy shopping!

I think Stihl's "homeowner grade" equipment exceeds the quality of most of the "homelite", etc. type equipment.

I thought the Stihl farmboss was considered a mid-grade saw (between homeowner & pro)

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #24  
I thought the Stihl farmboss was considered a mid-grade saw (between homeowner & pro)

I happened to have Stihl and Husqvarna catalogs on my desk (after my chainsaw search). The Stihl nomenclature is occasional use, mid-range use (includes the 290), and professional use. The corresponding Husqvarna terminology is homeowner, landowner, and professional.

Steve

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #26  
It doesn't matter what the catalog says, marketing people typically are only out to sell equipment. They both make good saws. The bottom line, for each manufacturer is that the more money you pay, the the better the saw is, and the faster it will cut wood. It does make sense to stay with one manufacturer. I have used both brands and they cut wood. I can't recall when using either brand of similar size if one was faster than another. If you take reasonable care of them, they will last a long time.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20"
I think it all comes down to paying $45 less and getting no back-up service or paying $45 more and having service for the saw right at the dealer.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #28  
I'm sure this varies with region, but I've never run across a Husky service center that would treat me differently if I had not bought my saw from them. In fact, both places I take my saw now bend over backwards trying to impress me with their service before my next purchase.

Of course, if the Husky service center is distant or full of dolts, then Stihl is the way to go. I'll say this, regardless of a few dollars one way or another, I would buy from a full service dealer rather than from a big box. If we don't make that decision, pretty soon there won't be any full service dealers.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #29  
Jeff said: Stihl has some nice features, such as tool-less bar adjustment

That tool-less thing seemd attractive until I tried it. I realize it is a disad to have to have a screwdriver, but the one I used before the Stihl had that, and the screwdriver adjustment was better for me. Here is why: That thumb thing on the Stihl just won't provide the torque needed to move the bar well.

yomax4: About the chain brake: thanks. That is what I thought.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #30  
Just a question; how many of you guys worried about service center being close have actually ever had to take a saw in for service?

I got a craftsman el cheapo saw in 1993 for xmas, still runs great although I do not use it any more. Used a lot and never any problems.

Bought a Stihl MS250 in 2003. It is a homowner occasional use saw. Have used it a ton and still runs great. Never in for service.

Got a Dolmar 7900 this past summer. Drove an hour to get it, my local Stihl dealer is getting out of carrying Dolmar. I did not hesitate to buy it with out any local dealer support. I ordered an HD air filter kit and a few other things such as dolmar synthetic 2stroke oil all on the internet.

Some thing to think about. Anymore, (me personally) I would just get what I want and not worry about it.

As for Husky vs Stihl, I would not hesitate to own either. I have looked often at the rancher 455 at Lowes, and the Stihl 290 at my dealer, both seem like a real nice saws.

BTW, I cut 6-10 cords of firewood per year and clear land with my saws. -Keith