Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20"

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #51  
We're talking new saws with 20" barhere, right? I can't touch a CS600 for less than $499. I can get an MS290 for $340 no tax or shipping at a local dealer I found. That's $159 difference. Granted the CS600 is more saw, but a $159 is a BIG price difference.
My budget is $400 or less.

Now the Makita (Sachs) is pretty nice and priced right.

If you watch on Ebay you can get a new CS600 for just over $400 most times $400 plus shipping. The CS400 go for $200 plus shipping. I amazed at those CS400 Echo saws with a muff modd, I knew the cut good , I did some timed cuts today . All tuned good and full ready to cut

Stihl 029
17-3/4# 16" bar new chiesel chain 15 seconds

Husky Rancher55
15-1/2# 16" bar new chiesel chain 20 seconds

Echo Cs400
muff modd new lo pro semi chiesel
13-1/4# 16" bar 15 to 16 seconds.

Either that NK chain really helps or Echo did some homework on that Vortex motor or maybe a combo of those 2. Having has some CS400 saws apart I'd swear they wouldn't make any power with kind of small slanted tranferr ports but the results are above. Without a muff modd they are just average but with gains are hugh. Steve

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #53  
You might get a dealer down some but I don't think they will come close to a little over $400 off EBAY, no tax. To me it's far better to learn how to tune and fix a saw and stay away from high priced repairs at dealers. You might goof up and it might cost you some but no where near what it would if you take your saw to a dealer to get fixed. Steve

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #54  
I have run the 455 Rancher for two years, and it was by far the most reliable saw I have ever owned. It never needed adjustment, started right away, and always ran great. I have since upgraded to more professional saws, but I never sold the 455. I would highly recommend it as a saw that you can just run and not worry about. I keep mine as the saw to get me out of trouble when another gets stuck.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20"
Funny, ain't it? No matter what product you ask for opinions about, you'll get the full range of opinions from "don't buy it, it's junk" to "best saw I ever owned" :laughing:

Realistically, for $340, the farm Boss 20" MS290 is the best bang for the buck for me. I know if I spent 100-150 more I could get an outstanding saw, but I already have a couple good Stihls that fit that description.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #57  
I have had a Husky 51 for 14 years. Still runs like new. Last year I bought a Stihl Farm Boss, just because I wanted a saw on both tractors, and we have a good Stihl dealer here. Both have 20" bars and pretty aggressive chains. The Husky has always been an easier starter than the stihl, and seems a little lighter and better balanced, but underpowered in the in the bigger stuff. The Husky is a quick brushing and thinning saw and the Stihl gobbles through 30-36" knot-ridden spruce that stops the Husky. I'm happy with both. I hate the "easy off" oil and fuel caps on the Stihl, though. Price was a toss-up here between a farm boss and a 455 rancher. Both are good, and will probably outlast me....Dan.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #58  
Our local Sears store is clearancing out the 455 Huskies for $369:thumbsup:
Our local farm supply store is selling the factory rebuilt 455's for $299:drool:

I think they represent a pretty good value for the money....I would jump on the rebuilt if I needed another saw....:confused2:

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #59  
I have always had good luck with stihl. Never any service issues, very reliable.
The guys I know with Huskys are pleased with their equipment as well.
I have found that the Big Box store " Homeowner" brands are a huge maintanence item.... but then again... they cost half what the real saws cost....

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #60  
I have always had good luck with stihl. Never any service issues, very reliable.
The guys I know with Huskys are pleased with their equipment as well.
I have found that the Big Box store " Homeowner" brands are a huge maintanence item.... but then again... they cost half what the real saws cost....

I sold my Stihl 036 pro because it was more saw than I needed and it has a great resale value. I still have my 024 and a 015L.

I think a person who knows how to tune and maintain a saw would get great service out of the big box store saws. They are pretty much the same as the pro saws, same metalurgy but different construction so they weigh a little more and produce less power.

The pro's who use their saws to earn a living don't want to mess with them. They want them to run and perform and are willing to pay a premium for that degree of set up.

Those of us who understand engines and can live with a half pound or perhaps as much as a pound of extra weight and don't mind opening up an exhaust system and re-tuning the carb can get some good values in the semi-pro saws.

I have a Poulan 330 that is just incredible when you consider it cost me $179 brand new.

I have found nothing to compare it to for the money. :D