Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20"

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
I can get a Rancher 455 w/ 20" bar for about $40 less than the comparable Stihl Farmboss with 20" bar. ($360 v. $399). I already have 3 Stihls one of them being a MS290 Farm Boss w/ 20" bar already (about 7 Stihls less than another member...lol... ;) .

My question is, along with the cost savings, any reason to try a Husky this time over a Stihl? I know they make a great saw, but I don't know if they're any better/worse than the 290, which I feel is a compromise between a homeowner and pro saw.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #2  
I use Stihl not just because its great but because I have local parts and service counter dedicated exclusively to Stihl. In my area Husqy is ,also, a very good saw but is available in the bigbox stores where service and reliable personal advice is thin.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #3  
I can get a Rancher 455 w/ 20" bar for about $40 less than the comparable Stihl Farmboss with 20" bar. ($360 v. $399). I already have 3 Stihls one of them being a MS290 Farm Boss w/ 20" bar already (about 7 Stihls less than another member...lol... ;) .

My question is, along with the cost savings, any reason to try a Husky this time over a Stihl? I know they make a great saw, but I don't know if they're any better/worse than the 290, which I feel is a compromise between a homeowner and pro saw.

Better to spend the extra and get the Stihl, otherwise it will cost you a lot more to sell all your Stihls and replace them because you'll want the better Huskys. :laughing::laughing: Now this site is almost as bad as the AS one.:D Seriously, I did really like my little 025, wish I hadn't sold it.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #4  
I have always had Stihls.I got a couple of friends who cut firewood and sell it. They each own Huskys and Stihls. They said the Huskys have a faster blade speed which they like. They also said the Stihls were a little easier to maintain. Neither of the guys would say one brand was better than the other. They said they liked both saws.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #5  
Toss up. very comparible saws. The 290 is 1cc more and .3 hp more. If that's worth $40 then go for it.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #6  
I bought a Stihl and it did not work out for me.

Admittedly it was one of their cheaper ones (about $300). Maybe the bigger ones are better quality.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #7  
I have always spent the extra money to get their "Pro" series chainsaws and weed eaters.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #8  
I've run small to midsize Stihl and Husky. Have a couple of each, as well as trimmers.

Both work well. But to me, the Stihl has a better balance and feel.

You would probably be fine with either. Try them both; the saw shops out here(at least my local ones) have logs so you can cut some cookies.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #9  

I'd go with the Stihl and never look back.:D

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #10  
Let me add some more info about my situation that might help.

My saw failed and they said it was because it was run with the chain brake on. I don't think so, but can't prove.

Also, developed an oil leak. I think they blamed it on the same as the above. Since then we have found a new dealer.

Seems there are two things that will destroy the saw (not counting the chain or bar) running with the brake on (so I assume running with blade stuck), and running without oil. I continuously check brake now, and frequently check for the oil spray.

I am one of those guys that reads the entire owners manual on equipment, and I usually (including this time) ask the seller/dealer if there is anything I need to be careful about. I was not told about those two things.

Try not to think badly of me for letting my saw fail. I shared the story in hopes of helping others.