Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar___
    Tractor
    Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB

Default Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20"

I can get a Rancher 455 w/ 20" bar for about $40 less than the comparable Stihl Farmboss with 20" bar. ($360 v. $399). I already have 3 Stihls one of them being a MS290 Farm Boss w/ 20" bar already (about 7 Stihls less than another member...lol... .

My question is, along with the cost savings, any reason to try a Husky this time over a Stihl? I know they make a great saw, but I don't know if they're any better/worse than the 290, which I feel is a compromise between a homeowner and pro saw.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    TC 35 New Holland and 52 Case VAC,LT25 Woodmizer logmill

Default Re: Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20"

I use Stihl not just because its great but because I have local parts and service counter dedicated exclusively to Stihl. In my area Husqy is ,also, a very good saw but is available in the bigbox stores where service and reliable personal advice is thin.

Tractor
    BX2200, BCS 735

Quote Originally Posted by Builder View Post
    I can get a Rancher 455 w/ 20" bar for about $40 less than the comparable Stihl Farmboss with 20" bar. ($360 v. $399). I already have 3 Stihls one of them being a MS290 Farm Boss w/ 20" bar already (about 7 Stihls less than another member...lol... .

My question is, along with the cost savings, any reason to try a Husky this time over a Stihl? I know they make a great saw, but I don't know if they're any better/worse than the 290, which I feel is a compromise between a homeowner and pro saw.

Better to spend the extra and get the Stihl, otherwise it will cost you a lot more to sell all your Stihls and replace them because you'll want the better Huskys. Now this site is almost as bad as the AS one. Seriously, I did really like my little 025, wish I hadn't sold it.
    Hate is like drinking poison, hoping your enemy will die. unknown author

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

I have always had Stihls.I got a couple of friends who cut firewood and sell it. They each own Huskys and Stihls. They said the Huskys have a faster blade speed which they like. They also said the Stihls were a little easier to maintain. Neither of the guys would say one brand was better than the other. They said they liked both saws.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Tractor
    Kioti LB1914

Toss up. very comparible saws. The 290 is 1cc more and .3 hp more. If that's worth $40 then go for it.
    Ron
    2004 Kioti LB1914 w/ FEL

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 3240

I bought a Stihl and it did not work out for me.

Admittedly it was one of their cheaper ones (about $300). Maybe the bigger ones are better quality.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

I have always spent the extra money to get their "Pro" series chainsaws and weed eaters.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

I've run small to midsize Stihl and Husky. Have a couple of each, as well as trimmers.

Both work well. But to me, the Stihl has a better balance and feel.

You would probably be fine with either. Try them both; the saw shops out here(at least my local ones) have logs so you can cut some cookies.
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
    Tractor
    John Deere 110 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by Builder View Post

I'd go with the Stihl and never look back.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 3240

Let me add some more info about my situation that might help.

My saw failed and they said it was because it was run with the chain brake on. I don't think so, but can't prove.

Also, developed an oil leak. I think they blamed it on the same as the above. Since then we have found a new dealer.

Seems there are two things that will destroy the saw (not counting the chain or bar) running with the brake on (so I assume running with blade stuck), and running without oil. I continuously check brake now, and frequently check for the oil spray.

I am one of those guys that reads the entire owners manual on equipment, and I usually (including this time) ask the seller/dealer if there is anything I need to be careful about. I was not told about those two things.

Try not to think badly of me for letting my saw fail. I shared the story in hopes of helping others.
    Kubota L3240, disc harrow, chain harrow, rear blade, plow (don't know), hay spear, box blade

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast