Problem with 5 year old chainsaw

/ Problem with 5 year old chainsaw #1  

Bradlyk

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 3930, Ford 6600, Agco Aliss 5670, Deutz D10006, Deutz D10006A
My friend has an older Stihl MS-290 and it fell 8 feet (from loader bucket) and the trigger handle shattered a bit but now the motor is flooding and can't keep a Idle no more as soon as you let go of the trigger it stalls and won't restart unless you dry the spark plug

I don't think choke sticks on master control dosen't say so and I took off air breather and it was showing on?

Maybe dirty air filter

Need help soon

Thank you in advance

/ Problem with 5 year old chainsaw #2  
Repair shop to replace broken/damaged parts??:thumbsup:

/ Problem with 5 year old chainsaw #3  
IF the saw fan fine before it fell, I dont see a dirty air filter being the problem now. If anything, the jolt from the drop has made the air filter cleaner.

You need to go through and replace the broken parts. There are a lot of little linkeages and stuff that go from the handel to the carb that could be out of whack or bent up. A vent line or pulse could have gotten pinched, something could have bumped the adjustment screws, there could be several things, it is just hard to say without seeing it in person.

If you dont know what you are doing, I'd take it to a saw shop or small engine shop.

/ Problem with 5 year old chainsaw #4  
Malfunctions are extremely dangerous on a chainsaw.....Broken handle, be sure to replace it. Jy.

/ Problem with 5 year old chainsaw
Got someone to look at it and he adjusted the idle screws and he said it was a bit off but enought to send it off...?

Its going in for a new handle next week

IF the saw fan fine before it fell, I dont see a dirty air filter being the problem now. If anything, the jolt from the drop has made the air filter cleaner.

Do you recomend dropping it once a month to clear the air filter:laughing:

/ Problem with 5 year old chainsaw #7  
Could be a number of things like the fuel pickup in the tank, the fuel line, the carb or the linkages. While the jolt probably did not cause an air filter problem it might have stirred up a problem with the fuel system. I just had to replace the pickup, line and carb kit on mine after about five years of use so if it has not been done before it is probably about time anyway:eek:

Well we got somebody to look at it and it works good now going to go in for a new handle