Makita 6401

/ Makita 6401 #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
Just about to buy MS290 FB for $340 when I came across a clean used Makita 6401 (Dolmar) with 20" bar for ~$275. I read the reviews on this saw and they are extremely positive compared to Stihl, Husq, etc, looks like it blows them away. Looks like a real torque monster. Seller said it outcuts his Stihl 362. It will take up to a 32" bar. I only need a 20", but might buy a 24' for it.

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=428

Now I don't know what to buy: a used superior Makita (sachs) or new MS290 with warranty. Leaning towards Makita 6401, but the downside is I have to drive 150 miles round trip, so I have to add $35 in fuel.

I already have one MS290 and it's really not quite the saw I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, it's a good saw, but kinda heavy and slow for the power rating. Looking for a chainsaw that's a Duramax this time, not a 7.3L Powerstroke.

/ Makita 6401 #3  
Just go get an 090... :D

I already have one MS290 and it's really not quite the saw I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, it's a good saw, but kinda heavy and slow for the power rating. Looking for a chainsaw that's a Duramax this time, not a 7.3L Powerstroke.

/ Makita 6401 #4  
Both good saws, but I'd be on a road trip.:)

I agree.

The 6401 is a LOT more saw for less money if you can put up with out the warrenty.

And if something does go wrong, for ~$100 you can put the baileys BB kit on it and have 84cc of mean power.

But for the price, I'd take the chance on the makita. They cost $500 new, and rumor has it, that price is going to go up by about $100. So for almost half the cost of new, I'd be jumping on it.

/ Makita 6401
UGH....I hate driving that far to take a chance. Never know what's gonna be there when you get there, compression, etc.

I read-up on the bailey's kit..... man that's tempting.

/ Makita 6401 #6  
UGH....I hate driving that far to take a chance. Never know what's gonna be there when you get there, compression, etc.

I read-up on the bailey's kit..... man that's tempting.

Yes it is. I am going to order one along with the HD filter kit for my 6400. They are currently $129 but when I called them, the guy said they would be going on sale mid-end of this month for $99. They said they weould be sending out the flier soon. He said they were also going to offer free shipping on anything over $200.

/ Makita 6401 #8  
I would go with the 6401 any day. If it is clean, it probably has not been used much. With a 20" bar it should rip......

/ Makita 6401 #9  
So this is a bolt on head, mahle piston job? I haven't rebuilt an engine for 15-20 years....:laughing:

It is an aftermarket cylinder and piston. It is NOT mahle, it is made in tiawan I think. The brand is NWP.

Baileys has great customer service. There were some issues with the earlier NWP BB kits, but baileys stands behind them with a 1 year warrenty.

The guys at AS seem to speak fairly good of them

/ Makita 6401 #10  
This is a no brainer, I'd be making tracks at daylight. I own both of these saws, 6401 all day every day over the 290. I seriously do not think you need a big bore kit if you are going to run the 20 inch bar most of the time.