Stihl Chain on an Echo 5000?

/ Stihl Chain on an Echo 5000? #1  

wrenchturner

Silver Member
Having read about how good the Stihl chain is, I wanted to buy some to go on my Echo 5000. However, today at my local hardware store that sells Stihl equipment they told me it would not work. The salesman said the clutch drive was different. My pitch is .325 and the gauge is .050. I currently use Oregon semi chisel chain and want to use a full chisel chain. Are the clutch drives different? I thought all were the same.

By the way, I have had my Echo for 19 years and have had only one issue. My dog ate half of the pull cord handle, now when I start the saw I always cuss that dog gone handle.

/ Stihl Chain on an Echo 5000? #2  
LOL, Dog gone is a good one. You might want to check oregonchain.com and see what you have. I like the more agressive chains as well but they are more dangerous especially kicking from the tip.

Last edited:
   / Stihl Chain on an Echo 5000? #3  
If you know your chain's pitch, guage, and length, I see no reason why you can't run RSC or whatever Stihl chain you want on your Echo.

/ Stihl Chain on an Echo 5000? #4  
I took my Stihl and my old Craftsman (Homelite) chainsaws to my local Stihl dealer and he made up new chains for both, no problem. Stihl chains are the best I have found, I heat with wood and do a lot of cutting. Good luck.

/ Stihl Chain on an Echo 5000? #5  
why not just get a stihl saw. They are the best saw out there. IMO.

/ Stihl Chain on an Echo 5000? #7  
Chains are interchangeable between manufacturers Match the pitch and gauge and you'll be fine.
Mike

/ Stihl Chain on an Echo 5000? #8  
Yes stihl offers chain that will fit your saw. All you need it the pitch and guage, which you have. Then you need to know the number of drive links. That determines the length.

So you have 0.050 guage .325 chain and want full chisel.

Stihl's part # is 3637 according to this

Chain Saw Chain - OILOMATIC? and Harvester Saw Chains | STIHL

It is the 4th chain down on the right side.

You can either give that number to your dealer or print that out and take to him. As well as the number of drive links you need it to be.

If he still refuses, find a new dealer. It seems that he doesnt want to help you because you dont own a stihl.

/ Stihl Chain on an Echo 5000?
Thanks to everyone for the information. I think the guy at the hardware store just did not know his facts. He was adamant about the stihl chain not working on my Echo and wanted to sell me Oregon chain because he truely did not know.

Since they have always been very helpful, I will go back to the store, educate the clerk and buy the 3637 chain.

I do like this Echo saw and if I do buy another saw it will most likely be an Echo with Stihl chain put on.

/ Stihl Chain on an Echo 5000? #10  
Thanks to everyone for the information. I think the guy at the hardware store just did not know his facts. He was adamant about the stihl chain not working on my Echo and wanted to sell me Oregon chain because he truely did not know.

Since they have always been very helpful, I will go back to the store, educate the clerk and buy the 3637 chain.

I do like this Echo saw and if I do buy another saw it will most likely be an Echo with Stihl chain put on.

Yes I'd sure get another Echo, I have Echo, Stihl, Husky, Efo, Solo and Dolmar saws over here and run the Echo saws way more than the others. They handle great, have good power, are light and always run. There's nothing wrong with Stihl and Husky PRO saws but the lower models are no where near as good as Echo saws in anything. People who say get a Stihl most likely haven't run a well set up Echo and they for sure shouldn't lump all Stihls together. My MS170 is built CHEAP and is gutless, on the plus side it's light and seems to run the very few times I've used it. Steve