Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #11  
Great looking saw. I looked at these chainsaws except in the Dolmar colors, talked to a logger that had used the Dolmar for years with great service. Nearly pulled the trigger and bought the Doolmar PS-7300, however the local dealer support pushed me towards the Husqvarna 372 xp. Dolamr is a west german saw that have been around for years, I think if we ever get a local dealer these saws will catch on in my area. From my research the only knock on the ps-7300 was the filter was a little small and needed blown out a little more frequent then some of the others. Hope you get years of service out of this saw.

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #12  
Well crap. I was thinking about buying a Solo that needed a top end kit.

I'm fighting to keep from pulling the trigger big time. :drool::drool:

I'm sure it would make just as big of a difference:thumbsup:

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #13  
Great looking saw. I looked at these chainsaws except in the Dolmar colors, talked to a logger that had used the Dolmar for years with great service. Nearly pulled the trigger and bought the Doolmar PS-7300, however the local dealer support pushed me towards the Husqvarna 372 xp. Dolamr is a west german saw that have been around for years, I think if we ever get a local dealer these saws will catch on in my area. From my research the only knock on the ps-7300 was the filter was a little small and needed blown out a little more frequent then some of the others. Hope you get years of service out of this saw.

Ofcourse your local dealer would push you toward whatever he sells:laughing:

Me not being a dealer or being biased, I would have pushed you toward the PS7900 instead:thumbsup:

OH, and welcome to TBN

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #14  
Ofcourse your local dealer would push you toward whatever he sells:laughing:

Me not being a dealer or being biased, I would have pushed you toward the PS7900 instead:thumbsup:

OH, and welcome to TBN

The husky dealer, didn't decide or push his saw on me. Without a dolmar dealer in the area, and only stihl and husky with local dealer support the decision came down to either stihl 440 or husqvarna 372. I choose husky this time and stihl the time before.

Anyway the Dolmar does look like a good saw, and if had any local dealers maybe I would have bought a dolmar.

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #15  
The husky dealer, didn't decide or push his saw on me. Without a dolmar dealer in the area, and only stihl and husky with local dealer support the decision came down to either stihl 440 or husqvarna 372. I choose husky this time and stihl the time before.

Anyway the Dolmar does look like a good saw, and if had any local dealers maybe I would have bought a dolmar.

Probabally a good decision. But that is why I dont rely on dealers. I like to fix things myself anyway. Guys that dont have a dolmar dealer are really missing out. When I bought my first 7900, we didnt have a dealer at the time. But I was confident that it would outlast the warrenty, which it did. And if I even need service after that, I am capable.

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #16  
I'd have to agree, haven't been to a dealer in 20 years as most are overpriced and don't get things fixed right. If you own a saw learn how to fix it instead of being a zombie, they are not hard to fix and then you can buy what ever saw you want. Some great deals are on the web if you don't have to rely on a dealer. Steve

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet
Well, after putting about 8 hours on the saw in the past few days, I am very happy. Spent yesterday bucking walnut tops and clearing trails with the saw. Went through about 4 tanks of gas in about 4 hours... yes I am a little sore. This is a big saw and will get heavy when using it for trail clearing. However, it is perfectly at home bucking sizable logs and the weight is not an issue then. The power is great and the revs are quick and responsive. Compared to my brother in laws Stihl MS311 the motor is much snappier with an edge power wise as well. Starting is a breeze with the decompression button and the saw started easily whether hot, warm, or cold every time. I cut everything from hard black locust, shagbark hickory, red and white oak, and a variety of soft woods. The saw ate through even the toughest and biggest wood with ease and absolutely sank through soft woods. In soft wood this thing is like a plasma cutter... cuts so fast you have to be ready so the saw doesn't end up in the dirt.

One thing to note-even though I asked the Home Depot rep multiple times that the saw they would send me was the 6401, I in fact got a 6421 with a cat muffler. I don't have a baseline to compare the two saws and am still very happy with the 6421.

Thus far, it seems like a no brainer to me. This saw is considerably cheaper than comparable models from Stihl and Husky, has the same or better power, same or better features, higher oil and gas capacities, and very similar weights. I'm not saying those aren't good saws because I'm sure they are and had I had extra money to spend, I would have considered those brands as well. However, if you are like me and don't have the extra cash, I would highly recommend this saw.

Attachments

• IMG_20110216_143729.jpg
    IMG_20110216_143729.jpg
    830 KB · Views: 352
   / Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #18  
Love mine, just bought another one! :thumbsup:
Maybe I'll open this one up with a topend kit. :)
Anyone run a 24" bar on theirs? Mine seem overpowered with a 20" bar.
What do you suggest for a 24" bar (brand, tooth size, etc.)

Last edited:
   / Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #19  
Love mine, just bought another one! :thumbsup:

Congrats on the second saw.:thumbsup: They really are a great value in a firewood saw compared to other makes.

Maybe I'll open this one up with a topend kit. :)

The 84cc BB kit like the NWP one that baileys sells is really a good deal for the price. I put one on mine and there is a definate noticable difference:thumbsup:

Anyone run a 24" bar on theirs? Mine seem overpowered with a 20" bar.
What do you suggest for a 24" bar (brand, tooth size, etc.)

Yep. We have 3 6400,s. Dads, My brothers, and mine. Mine is the only 84cc one, but they ALL have 24" B&C combos.

I'd reccomend about any decient brand bar that is a one-peice (not laminated) with a sprocket tip. As far as chain goes, you just cannot beat stihl chain. My local dolmar dealer onlt stocks carlton and windsor chain and wants about $28 per loop. And I am NOT impressed with either. The Stihl dealer is $1 per inch of bar. So $24 for a STIHL chain. Full comp (non-skip) chisel.

When we got the bars from baileys, we tried there in-house woodland pro brand at the reccomendation of the phone rep. $16 per loop. Not as good as stihl chain IMO. Not to mention that it is filled @ 35 degree cutter angle instead of 30. So it dulls quicker. We ended up filing back to a 30* angle.

BUT, that said, if I had to do it over again, I'd probabally opt for a 28" and semi-skip combo. 24" isnt THAT much difference than a 20. And since I still have the origional 20" that I can use for most stuff, I wish I had went just a tad bigger and got the 28" for the ocassional ig stuff.

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #20  
Congrats on the second saw.:thumbsup: They really are a great value in a firewood saw compared to other makes.

The 84cc BB kit like the NWP one that baileys sells is really a good deal for the price. I put one on mine and there is a definate noticable difference:thumbsup:

Yep. We have 3 6400,s. Dads, My brothers, and mine. Mine is the only 84cc one, but they ALL have 24" B&C combos.

I'd reccomend about any decient brand bar that is a one-peice (not laminated) with a sprocket tip. As far as chain goes, you just cannot beat stihl chain. My local dolmar dealer onlt stocks carlton and windsor chain and wants about $28 per loop. And I am NOT impressed with either. The Stihl dealer is $1 per inch of bar. So $24 for a STIHL chain. Full comp (non-skip) chisel.

When we got the bars from baileys, we tried there in-house woodland pro brand at the reccomendation of the phone rep. $16 per loop. Not as good as stihl chain IMO. Not to mention that it is filled @ 35 degree cutter angle instead of 30. So it dulls quicker. We ended up filing back to a 30* angle.

BUT, that said, if I had to do it over again, I'd probabally opt for a 28" and semi-skip combo. 24" isnt THAT much difference than a 20. And since I still have the origional 20" that I can use for most stuff, I wish I had went just a tad bigger and got the 28" for the ocassional ig stuff.

Thanks! As usual, you give great help.