Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #1  

hunter82i

Tractor
L3700SU
Evening everyone. I'm not normally a big poster, but read this site a lot (usually in the Kubota forum). I don't see a lot of information on here regarding the Makita 6401.

I just bought one from Home Depot for what I think is an average price for this new saw. I read every review for equivalent Husky or Stihl saws, but honestly didn't want to shell out $700. For $200 less I am happy to get into what by most accounts a quality saw. It is my first big chainsaw and I can't wait to get out there and use the L3700 to pull logs and the 6401 to get them to stove size!

I've read some reviews on AS, but TBN is more my style and I'd appreciate some first hand experience and advice with this saw. Everyone here just seems to have rock solid contributions to great discussions.

So, what is TBN's opinion of the 6401?

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #2  
It's a good saw pro built, open port design with 65cc top end.

You can put 73cc, 79cc oem tops on down the road with no changes to anything else. Thats when she comes alive ;). There is also a AFM 84-85cc top you could use, but I would buy the oem 79cc first for only $99 more. Mine was 6401 with 79cc oem top :)

I put the updated covers on mine when I had it with the pre-filter screen in carb cover.

Copyofblack7900004.jpg

Copyofblack7900003.jpg

32bar20.jpg

950a7464.jpg

7b4f5d9a.jpg

Enjoy

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #3  
Excellent saw.

If this is your first "big" saw, you will be impressed. I think you may have got it just in the nic of time too. I am not sure but they may be discontinuing it and replacing it with the new "EPA" version which is a 6421. And they run about $100 more:mad:

I on the other hand was looking for more power. The 7900 seems to spoil a guy, so dont ever run one:D

I went with the aftermarket 84cc BB kit on sale from baileys for $99. I also got the HD filter kit as well.

I can definatally tell the difference. And it is still tuned a little conservative and not broke in yet.

But you can definatally tell a noticable size difference in the P&C.

Enjoy the new saw.

Attachments

• cylinders.jpg
    cylinders.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 824
   / Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet
Yep, first big saw. Can't wait to get it. Are the stock filters problematic or do people buy the upgraded filter just for performance?

Thanks for the replies-I saw the 6421 when browsing for the best deals. Glad I got the 6401.

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #5  
Yep, first big saw. Can't wait to get it. Are the stock filters problematic or do people buy the upgraded filter just for performance?

Thanks for the replies-I saw the 6421 when browsing for the best deals. Glad I got the 6401.

Some people claim that the stock filter plugs up and dampens performance.

It is a small filter and does require you to blow it out more often, but I never had a problem with our other saws. And they were 7900's sucking a lot more air than the 6400. This is my first HD filter kit. And I did it for performance only. 84cc's needs lots of air:thumbsup:

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #6  
I have two 6401's. Best kept secret in chainsaws IMO. This is from a previous Stihl head. Enjoy!

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet
Should be here any day. I'll post back up once I get a chance to use it.

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #8  
I went with the aftermarket 84cc BB kit on sale from baileys for $99. I also got the HD filter kit as well.

I can definatally tell the difference. And it is still tuned a little conservative and not broke in yet.

Do you know anyone that has put the big bore kit (same one with 1mm thicker gasket) on a Solo 665 675 or 681 as a replacement to give the saw 86cc-87cc? Any feedback?

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #9  
Do you know anyone that has put the big bore kit (same one with 1mm thicker gasket) on a Solo 665 675 or 681 as a replacement to give the saw 86cc-87cc? Any feedback?

No I dont. I dont even know anyone that owns a solo. Sorry

/ Makita 6401-Finally bit the bullet #10  
No I dont. I dont even know anyone that owns a solo. Sorry

Well crap. I was thinking about buying a Solo that needed a top end kit.

I'm fighting to keep from pulling the trigger big time. :drool::drool: