Stihl O28 Super 1988 or so model

/ Stihl O28 Super 1988 or so model #1  

sacsr

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 187D Terramite T5C Bush Hog D4-10
Need some help....I was cutting on my property today and the chain saw started slowing down....ran it a little bit longer and decided to stop....chain sounded "dry" and was not running as freely.....checked the oil and found none (very little) in it......once home filled up with oil and cleaned all passages.....cranked it up and black oil started to come out from around the spindle?? Fresh oil was coming out of the holes for the bar.....

Have a burned up a seal?? easily fixed?? Anyone have a parts diagram on this saw??

Any help would be appreciated...

Attachments

• Stihl O28.jpg
    Stihl O28.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 746
   / Stihl O28 Super 1988 or so model
Never mind...worked on it today and it all is fine.

I have had this stihl since 1988.....has been a great chain saw....only issues I have had is the switch does not work properly.....

I have always bought stihl products...have a blower from 1997 ...still works like a charm.

/ Stihl O28 Super 1988 or so model #3  
Hi Scott...I have an 026 of about that vintage. A great saw and still no problems with it. What was the problem you fixed...it may happen to me one day...

I said it was a problem....but I figured out what happened. I was cutting some wood, heard the chain rattling and realized that I had run out of oil....it was really hot....when I went home I filled up the reservoir and then put a little oil on the chain and the sprocket at the end of the bar....cranked it up and ran it for a few minutes.....cut it off went to do another project...when I came back there was a thick black oil puddle on the garage floor and coming out of the area in the picture in my first post.....wiped it up .....cranked it up...the black oil started coming out again....now I was getting concerned that I have damaged something......

Today I pulled off the cover and bar again.....cleaned off all the areas......cranked it up again and good fresh oil coming from the holes/ports for the bar...just a little bit coming from the spindle area......cleaned the area with mineral spirits....dried it off.....ran it again.....no oil in the spindle area....

Figured out the oil from last night when I put on the chain and sprocket had worked its way into this area and then picked the dirt from the chain etc....that was the black oil on the floor....

False alarm....Good news is no damage and my trusty 22 plus year old chain saw is back together....well lubed and ready for the coming weekend.

/ Stihl O28 Super 1988 or so model #5  
Thanks Scott. I usually burn about 2 maybe 3 cords of wood a year and this saw has been my main chainsaw for cutting wood. I use the solid bar, (no sprocket), which works better on dirty wood. Wood that I have dragged out with the tractor, etc. I also have a couple newer 017's which are not the same quality and have the micro chain and sprockets.

The 026 on occasion has run, but without power and idles erratically. No amount of adjusting seems to help. I take the carb off and apart, blow it out with the air compressor and it runs fine again. I guess a particle gets lodged in one of the passages.

Great saws...especially considering the environment they operate in.

My neighbor cuts trees part time (his dad was full time for years)....he was explaining to me the straight bars versus the sprocket.....sprocket being mostly for homeowner chainsaws......

also showed me where my bar had developed some ridges on the side and that I need to file them down for he chain to run smoother....

I show him what to do with plants and what to plant....he has the electrical side covered...with some chain saw repair and use thrown in on the side.....

I am cutting a good bit of trees down on my land....plus limbing up a bunch of trees as well....this chain saw could fall apart today and my money would have been well spent.....I also have a fs130 with the handle bars and brush cutter.....it is a good piece of equipment as well...

Never have had any problems with my chainsaw not idling well.....just the switch not working well......my blower switch is hard to move too but after 10 plus years I am not going to complain....has run every time....never been in the shop....my chainsaw has been worked on 1 time by my neighbors father who just cleaned it up, sharpened the blade, and made any adjustments necessary...like I said...I have always gotten my money with stihl....I have several other small pieces that hang in my shed but don't work after a couple of years of service.....I have learned my lesson...

/ Stihl O28 Super 1988 or so model #7  
I just took a 028 super in on trade. So whats the story on them, years made etc?

Attachments

• 028super.jpg
    028super.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 234
  • 028superav.jpg
    028superav.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 253
   / Stihl O28 Super 1988 or so model #8  
That seal is not that bad to replace, but if that one shows how far away is the one on the other side att 20 plus years old!!!!!

I'd be pulling the exhaust off and looking at that side of the piston!!!

Great saw!

Bought mine in 1988 to clean up after Hurricane Hugo. Personal use not for business....bought a piece of land 10 years ago and have cut a good bit of small trees down with it......

After 22 years....replaced chain, switch does not work well, rubber gasket around gas cap needs to be replaced.....outside of normal cleaning...have never done anything to it....

Very pleased with this purchase....

/ Stihl O28 Super 1988 or so model #10  
Better pics of the 028 super I just took in on trade. oem piston, crank seals, fuel, impulse line and carb kit.

550028super005.jpg

550028super003.jpg

550028super004.jpg