Bar oil for chainsaw

/ Bar oil for chainsaw #1  

Bayrat

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
I bought a new Stihl 260 yesterday and while there asked the dealer about bar oil. I have always used cheap motor oil but he suggested the use of regular bar oil, of which I bought a gallon for $6. I suppose it is stickier and will make less of a mess and perhaps lube better, don't know. What is the consensus of most users, bar oil or something else???

/ Bar oil for chainsaw #2  
Long, long time ago, I used cheap motor oil, too, but not for many years. I think the bar oil is worth the cost difference.

/ Bar oil for chainsaw #3  
I buy my bar oil at WalMart, its is only,I believe, I paid a little less than $3.00 a gal. It's made by by a major company.

/ Bar oil for chainsaw #4  
I use "way lube 68" also known as "vactra" it is used on machine tools and machining centers to lubricate the slide ways. it is thick and sticks very well, not sure of the cost I get it from work for free. 1 gallon lasts me a long time. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.madisonfs.com/ProdServ/Lubes/WayLube68.shtm>http://www.madisonfs.com/ProdServ/Lubes/WayLube68.shtm</A>

/ Bar oil for chainsaw #5  
I also use bar oil that I get at Sears hardware...

/ Bar oil for chainsaw #6  
I use a Stihl 044 and I purchase the Stihl bar oil. They sell it in regular grade to be used in warmer temps and winter grade to use in temps below 32 degrees. The winter grade bar oil is of thinner viscosity and there is a huge difference between it and the regular grade in the flow of oil that lubricates the chain in colder temps. I would suggest that if you're using a good saw like the Stihl 260, then it's likely worth the extra buck or two to use the recommended Stihl oil manufactured for these saws.

/ Bar oil for chainsaw
Thanks for the information. I purchased a case of Stihl two cycle and bar oil, new machine/factory lubricants. I will stick with their engine oil, in fact I will run it in all of my two cycle engines. The dealer told me the 50:1 mix is ok to run in my older lawnboy mower that calls for a 32:1 mix. I have one can I like to keep for gas/oil mix and don't want to have to mess with several different blends. I believe the rest of my two strokes are all calling for close to a 50:1 including weed whacker, hedge clippers and drill but I have been running them all rich with the lawn boy mix as I didn't want to damage that engine. It's twenty five years old, so I guess I won't be taking much of a risk at this point. I saw the bar oil in Sears tonight for around $4.00, cheap enough. I just looked at the gallon of Stihl oil and could not find any mention of a temperature rating on it. Also noticed a synthetic oil for the gas mix, anyone used that yet?

/ Bar oil for chainsaw #8  
The Stihl winter grade bar oil comes in a blue jug and the regular bar oil is in a orange jug.

/ Bar oil for chainsaw #9  
I used a non Stihl oil in one of my Stihl string cutters, and then it just stoped running one day, and would not start. When I tore it down, I found a ring had froze up on it. Stihl told me it was for using a oil that didn't hold up, and for not running it wide open. They said never to run it at part of the way, but full open, they had had this problem before. I now use Stihl oil for my gas mix. But use the WalMart bar oil. have been cutting wood for many years and never have had any problem with it, and its cost less.

/ Bar oil for chainsaw #10  
<font color=blue>I just looked at the gallon of Stihl oil and could not find any mention of a temperature rating on it.</font color=blue>

The winter grade oil has the side label printed as "Winter Grade" if it's indeed winter grade. You're right....they have no temp ratings on it. You have to talk to a Stihl authorized dealer to get this info. I just bought a gallon of winter grade for $5. I've used only Stihl lubricants in my 044 since I bought it in 1995 and have never had a problem with this saw. I figure I'll not mess with a good thing so I'll stick with only Stihl lubricants for the 044.