Stihl Gas and Oil Caps

/ Stihl Gas and Oil Caps #11  
Stihls thinking on flippy caps. Hmmm how can we make more $$$ off a 100 year old simple design that works. :confused2::confused2:

/ Stihl Gas and Oil Caps #12  
Had to show a buddy of mine how to when I saw him stuggling with the oil cap on his saw. Showed him the notch in the tank and the corresponding pointy thing on the cap. Line them up, push down, turn and flip. Good to go. He had a few words for me (and those $&%%*($&(#) caps):laughing:

Except for my vintage saws (and one other brand) all my equip. has flippys. No problems.

Later,

/ Stihl Gas and Oil Caps #13  
I don't really care for the "flippy caps", but once I got the hang of them I have not had any issue's. I do agree the oil cap seems to be more tricky then the gas for some reason.

/ Stihl Gas and Oil Caps #14  
Yup... PITA! Spent many a good minute(up to 15) trying to get the oil cap in place.
I have a new and older 025... guess which one I prefer?

Good saws other than the new flip cap design flaw.

Lloyd

/ Stihl Gas and Oil Caps #15  
I've got an old 031 from about 1973, this thing has cut many many cords over the years and still runs great.

The best thing is, no flippy caps.

/ Stihl Gas and Oil Caps #16  
I've not had any issues with the new caps on my MS361, since new 2004.

Can't even see where any extra talent or skill is needed to use them either. :confused3:

At best, it maybe is that I don't try to screw them on. Just insert, turn, and flip the handle down. Sorry, just don't understand the problem with them.

/ Stihl Gas and Oil Caps #17  
At best, it maybe is that I don't try to screw them on. Just insert, turn, and flip the handle down. Sorry, just don't understand the problem with them

I think that is the problem, folks get use to the screw style and try to do the same with the flip cap. I noticed if it isn't lined up just right then it may even seem to be on but isn't.

/ Stihl Gas and Oil Caps #18  
I don't have issues using the flippy caps. But I hate how they trap dust and chips in them. Then when you open the caps the chips fall into the tank! Booo!

To help with this problem I have a small paint brush and rag to clean the caps before removing.

I agree with the others... the caps are over engineering at it's worst. The standard screw type caps are superior in countless ways. Are you listening Stihl?! Save us all money, time and hassle... bring back screw caps.

/ Stihl Gas and Oil Caps #19  
While the cap on my FS-90 trimmer has been a bear to get open once, I've never had a problem with the caps on my BR600 blower or MS390 saw. I tend to like the caps because there something different compared to the regular screw on design.

/ Stihl Gas and Oil Caps #20  
If Stihl wants to come up with a real winner follow Fords lead and get rid of the gas cap all together.