Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B

Default Stihl Gas and Oil Caps

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I had an amusing experience at my local John deere/Stihl dealer today.

I was waiting for a tractor part and saw a new Stihl chainsaw sitting on the shelf next to me. I've been thinking about buying a new 260 for awhile now, but have had some reservations due to the "fuel cap fiasco".

So, I decided to "test drive" the caps on the sample saw. I did OK on the fuel cap, but couldn't get the oil cap back on for anything. Cutting to the chase, it took the general manager, service manager and parts guy about 10 minutes to figure out how to get the oil cap back on.

However, the parts guy assured me "It's a LOT better design because the old ones leak after awhile".

I have a 20 year old Stihl with screw on caps and have NEVER had a leak problem of any kind. Nor have I ever had a problem reinstalling them.

Rather than argue the point, I just smiled and said thanks for the demonstration.

Talk about an "over-engineered solution for a problem that didn't exist".....
    Last edited by Runner; 03-26-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    Runner

Tractor
    T1530

Default Re: Stihl Gas and Oil Caps

I can relate to that.I,m glad its a common problem.I thought it was me.I,ll have to put that in the tamper proof pill bottle cat !

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    N/A

Some claim they love the flippy style caps, of course some believe in the Tooth Fairy too.

I was a former Stihl head. The flippy caps have pushed me to other brands, and I have NO regrets. Until Stihl puts a respectable cap back on their equipment, I have bought my last piece of their equipment.

John Deere 4700 - FEL & Backhoe
    McCormick C80L - FEL
    Bolens G152

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Until you have had the wonderful experience of getting you shirt, pants and boots soaked with bar oil while getting firewood on the day before deer season you haven't lived.

There went 1/3 of the outer clothes I had brought for a two-week camp. And the best part is my buddy showed me how to put the caps on "right" and did the same thing to himself 5 minutes later.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

I've got a Stihl FS-130 brushcutter with the new style fuel cap, had no problems with it in the past three years. Haven't seen the oil caps on their saws though.. next time I'm in a dealership I'll have a look.

I did have a leaky fuel cap on my 023 though, screw type cap. It turns out there's at least two different style seal rings for them, one is round and the other is a rectangular section seal. You can't interchange them or it'll leak.

Sean

Tractor
    Kubota, L4400, BX1870

My Stihl 290's flip caps are good to go so far. My Stihl back pack leaf blower.....the gas cap has been giving e a fit lately. its also the flip style. Just won't latch right and when you think it is......you sling that bad boy over your back only to be doused with gas!!!
    Kubota L4400 - Land pride rear scraper blade, 6 foot landscape rake, 72'' Frontier Box Blade, Land Pride 60'' finish mower, Land Pride Q/A pallet forks, County Line Carryall built to haul and loaded R-1's
    Kubota RTV500
    Kubota BX1870

Previous Tractors: 1978 B7100, 2009 B3200

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B2620, Toro Z-Master 45 3 (2 3hp Kaw asaki, 52" deck.Kubota RTV 900)

That makes me laugh. I was cutting wood with my brother, and we stopped and went into the shop to re-fuel. I was struggling with the flippy cap on my oil tank, and he made a point to show me how to do it. He then refilled his oil tank, and as we were walking make outside, there was a trail of oil all the way to the log pile!!!

Will

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615

I bought a Stihl 260 a few months back. Love the saw. Zero problems with the gas cap but sometimes the oil cap is a bit fussy. It's not a big enough deal that I would want another saw.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    New Holland Boomer 1030

I've been lucky. I have 4 items with flip caps and no problems. But, a couple of weeks ago I was at a dealer and saw a poster about an improved cap that's available. I beleive Stihl is replaceing them for free. The improved cap has a different letter code somewhere on it. I didn't pay much attention since I'm not having a problem, but might be worth a call to your dealer.

Mike

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, 1953 Economy King 2409

Have a Stihl string trimmer with the flip cap. That thing is a pain. Sometimes it takes me 5 min to get the cap on. I hope they come up with a more reliable design. Other than the cap the trimmer is great.
    Tucker
    ----------------

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast