Craftsman saw runs short time and quits

/ Craftsman saw runs short time and quits #1  

Big Joe

Tractor
L4300DT
My Craftsman (Poulan I'm sure) saw runs for about a minute and then quits. It will not start for quite some time afterwards and then quits again. Help!

/ Craftsman saw runs short time and quits #2  
Sounds like fuel starvation.
Could well be the filter which you will find dangling in the tank at the end of a soft line.
Fashion a hook and fish it out then blow it clean or replace it.

Or flooding.
Other possibility is the air filter that if clogged with sawdust will act like a choke and flood the carburetor.
Solution is to clean it and re-install.

With starvation there would be no fuel smells while flooding will some spilled gas.

/ Craftsman saw runs short time and quits #3  
My Craftsman (Poulan I'm sure) saw runs for about a minute and then quits. It will not start for quite some time afterwards and then quits again. Help!

If it is getting hot and then quits, clean out the muffler screen behind the muffler

/ Craftsman saw runs short time and quits #4  
Just throwing this out there also. Whens the last time the carb has had a kit put in it.
With todays gas the diaphragms harden up pretty quickly when stored with gas in them.

/ Craftsman saw runs short time and quits #5  
Sounds like fuel starvation.
Could well be the filter which you will find dangling in the tank at the end of a soft line.
Fashion a hook and fish it out then blow it clean or replace it.

Or flooding.
Other possibility is the air filter that if clogged with sawdust will act like a choke and flood the carburetor.
Solution is to clean it and re-install.

With starvation there would be no fuel smells while flooding will some spilled gas.

I'll second the filter
Our Craftsman actually had the filter come off so the pick-up was low and the filter would clog the line from time to time.

/ Craftsman saw runs short time and quits
Thanks guys for the good info. I pulled the pick-up filter and used the compressor to blow it out, but the same thing happened. I will buy a new one and see if that works. I guess pumping the primer bulb provides enough pressure to pump the gas to the carb, but the filter is too clogged for it to continue on a normal basis. The carb was cleaned and the fuel lines were replaced awhile back. I will let you know how the new filter works.

/ Craftsman saw runs short time and quits #7  
If the fuel lines and filter all check out to be good, and you find that it is in fact a fuel delivery problem, then check the carburetor, once having removed the carb. split it and you'll find a small screen inside at the fuel inlet, chances are this screen has become clogged, ;)
The stone filter in the tank does catch most all things although some small particles can make its way to the screen and clog it up over time,

/ Craftsman saw runs short time and quits #8  
I'll add another possibility.

Some fuel lines will deteriorate with new alcohol based gas and then plug the jets.
Rubber lines are the worst for that.