oregon chain for MS290??

/ oregon chain for MS290?? #1  

meb9796

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3720
Will Oregon chains (3/8 pitch, .05 gauge) fit a MS290 chainsaw if I get a bar with the .05 gauge?? I've done a lot of searching and seen where people hear a clicking noise from the sprocket when they pull oregon chains around the bar before starting the saw, and wondering if the current sprocket will handle the 3/8 pitch?? Isn't .325 the same thing????

I've also got a 20" Poulan that is currently in the shop, so these could go on that saw, but I'm looking at purchasing a Oregon 511A sharpener soon and figured it would be easier to have to sharpen all the same type of chain. I've also got a 16" poulan and my wife has a MS192, so I do sharpen quite a few chains weekly.

/ oregon chain for MS290?? #2  
Will Oregon chains (3/8 pitch, .05 gauge) fit a MS290 chainsaw if I get a bar with the .05 gauge?? I've done a lot of searching and seen where people hear a clicking noise from the sprocket when they pull oregon chains around the bar before starting the saw, and wondering if the current sprocket will handle the 3/8 pitch?? Isn't .325 the same thing????

I've also got a 20" Poulan that is currently in the shop, so these could go on that saw, but I'm looking at purchasing a Oregon 511A sharpener soon and figured it would be easier to have to sharpen all the same type of chain. I've also got a 16" poulan and my wife has a MS192, so I do sharpen quite a few chains weekly.
I just bought a MS290, and have been looking at the same thing. I think we might have to change the drive sprocket, but have not seen that in writing...yet. I know the bar has to be changed, and from what I have read, a drop in bar length. They say the MS290 doesn't have enough HP to drive 3/8 chain with a 20" bar....the main reason I bought it was for the 20" bar. It is a very nice saw though.
I really like the part of you post about "your wife's chain saw". How do you get that to happen???

/ oregon chain for MS290??
But isn't 3/8 the same as .325? I was just looking at a stihl dealer's website (TW Perry - Leesburg, VA 20175 WASHINGTON, DC - Oilomatic® Saw Chains) and they have a very good description for different stihl chains, and have the pitch listed as 3/8 _ .325, so I would assume they would work. But I also just found that the 20" chains I bought will NOT fit my 3400 Poulan because the sprocket is a 70, not a 72.

My wife used to cut brush with a hand saw and shears, so I finally surprised her for on her b-day last year with a 12" MS192. It's mainly for limbing, but does a pretty good job. Besides, now she doesn't ask to use mine :)

Think I'll just cut my losses and get another stihl chain :(

/ oregon chain for MS290?? #4  
.375 is different from .325. (se below) You might be able to use the same bar if the gauge is the same, but you will have to change the saw sprocket and the bar sprocket, if the bar has a sproket nose on it.

.375 chain will pull harder than than .325 and a shorter bar might be in order. A skip tooth .375 chain will probably pull as easy as a .325 if the 20" bar is needed.

OREGON Maintenance and Tips

Chain gauge is the drive link's thickness where it fits into the guide-bar groove. The gauge of the chain and the gauge of the guide bar must match. OREGONョ has several gauges - such as .050", .063", etc.

Chain pitch is the distance between any three consecutive rivets divided by two. Pitch defines the size of the chain. OREGONョ chain is made in several pitches - 1/4" is the smallest, 3/8" is the most popular. Other parts of the cutting elements are pitch-related. The drive sprocket must be the same pitch as the chain, and so must the nose sprocket in sprocket-nose bars.

/ oregon chain for MS290?? #5  

It takes all of 15 seconds to change out a grinding wheel. Wheels are much cheaper than the route you are currently thinking of as well.

/ oregon chain for MS290?? #6  
My opinion is the Stihl chain is the best on the market. Wouldn't even consider another........why change something if it works!

Craig

/ oregon chain for MS290?? #7  
Totally agree. Unless you just can't find it locally, I would run Stihl chain. I have tried other chain, but just keep coming back to Stihl.

My opinion is the Stihl chain is the best on the market. Wouldn't even consider another........why change something if it works!
Craig

/ oregon chain for MS290?? #9  
I changed my Husqvarna around to use up chains from my late Solo.

I replaced the drive with one that allows using rims and use a rim for .325 and Solo 20" bar. Simple enough change and the Solo narrow kerf chain cuts faster than the Husqvarna 3/8".

/ oregon chain for MS290??
Did an inventory of my chains, and realized I have three chains that won't fit my saws (20", 3/8, .05). Think I'm going to get an extra bar for my poulan 3400, and use them as back ups. Now I have over 6 chains for one saw!!!

I did learn one thing from all this though, with the right pitch, gauge, and length, I can get better chains, instead of the home owner ones they try to sell you!!!