stihl chain saws help!!!

/ stihl chain saws help!!! #1  

greenthumb

Silver Member
Tractor
tc40, exmark lazer Z
I have new farm boss chain saw 290 And a new question. does anyone know how to adjust the oil flow. In the manual it says there is a adjusting screw on the bottom I can't find one. or is it automatic and I can't adjust the oil flow

/ stihl chain saws help!!! #2  
Well if it is automatic its probably does not have a adjustment.I am not that familar with that saw.I remember and ole echo 452 I had.It had a automatic oiler(which you could adjust)and a manual oiler too.If it is adjustable there should be a small screw around there on it.

/ stihl chain saws help!!! #3  
You can't adjust the oil flow. Yes, it is automatic. If you don't have sufficient oil flow, you may want to consider consulting with an authorized Stihl dealer.

/ stihl chain saws help!!! #4  
The larger saws are automatic and still adjust. Look on the bottom for a deep hole about 3/8" diameter. There will be an adjusting screw down in there. Should be a symbol of an "e" near the hole. I think clockwise will make more oil, I don't remember as I make sure they're all the way up when new, and never recheck. Then again, maybe the 290 isn't adjustable, but should be if the manual says so.

/ stihl chain saws help!!! #5  
I just looked at mine and I admit I couldn't seem to find it.I looked and looked, I knew it had to be there because I checked the manual first.
It is on the black strip on the underside of the saw. The problem is 1)it's black and the "E" mark doesn't show up well and 2)this part appears to be what rests on the ground when you sit the saw down so it collects dirt.

/ stihl chain saws help!!! #6  
Greenthumb,
I just bought a new 290. Mine does have an adjustable oil flow setting. Turn the saw upside down and on the handle side you should see a little "black hole". If I'm not mistaken, I think it takes an allen wrench to adjust it. I looked at it just after I bought it and saw it. I used it once, and I need to adjust it for more oil before I use it again.

/ stihl chain saws help!!!
thanks everone. I found the mark on the bottom. It is very hard to see since I have usde the saw and the bottom is dirty. Plus I was in my barn looking where the light is not very good. Under good lighting and great advice I know how to get more oil. Of course this means back to work