thoughts on echo cs 680

/ thoughts on echo cs 680 #1  

deereman75

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 2120, Warner & Swasey 6000# offroad forklift, Case W9B loader, various non-running decorations
Right now the only chainsaw I have that is less then 40 years old is a stihl 009 with the electronic chain break.:thumbsup: I have a fairly big collection of vintage logging saws but have almost no knowledge on the new 60+cc saws, and know absolutely nothing about echo products.:confused:

I am considering the echo cs 680 because the specs look good and it has the 5 year warranty. So what I want to know is should I buy this echo saw or should I get another stihl.:confused:

/ thoughts on echo cs 680 #2  
Right now the only chainsaw I have that is less then 40 years old is a stihl 009 with the electronic chain break.:thumbsup: I have a fairly big collection of vintage logging saws but have almost no knowledge on the new 60+cc saws, and know absolutely nothing about echo products.:confused:

I am considering the echo cs 680 because the specs look good and it has the 5 year warranty. So what I want to know is should I buy this echo saw or should I get another stihl.:confused:

I think you'll find out when you try out the Echo. My chainsaw guy has a couple logs out back that he lets people go to with the saw they have in mind. Perhaps you have the same availability Back when I was cutting professionally, Echo had a reputation as a slower saw than most. I cannot speak for the modern day Echo's as I never used a modern Echo so the shop try out should be important for you. I grew to have no allegiance to any chain saw brand as they all broke or all stayed together. If I got 2 years out of any chainsaw I used, I was happy but that was cutting 8 to 10 hours a day just about every day. I had good luck and bad with the same model numbers. The best chainsaw is the one that feels right in your hands and you were happy what you paid for it. The rest of the things like durability, reliability and even parts availability for the average homeowner, really do not paint the proper picture as most of that stuff is a crap shoot. They all cut pretty good and differences in cut speed are so minimal within a given saw range as to be moot. You will be fine with the Echo if you like using it. They have a pretty good following and many people like Echo's. All that means nothing to me as I am the sole judge as to what I like in my hands as I do not know what others use for preference criteria.

/ thoughts on echo cs 680 #3  
I recently purchased my first Echo saws, a 600p and a 530. I am not blinded by brand and own saws from several makers including Stihl, Dolmar/Makita, Jonsered, Husqvarna and now Echo.

The Echos so far seem like a very nice product and I have no complaints. That said, I would buy the 600p in lieu of the 680. The 600p is 1.5 pounds lighter and only 6 cc less in discpacement than the 680. It seems very comparable to my 360 Pro Stihl. The 680 is an older Echo design and the 600p is their latest design. The 5 year consumer warranty is a nice touch.

IMHO Stihl has just become a little too proud of their products and price them accordingly. Good product, (other than those caps that I am not fond of to be polite), but just too much dough.

/ thoughts on echo cs 680
thanks guys I guess when it comes time for me to get a bigger saw i will just have to try them, and i will also look at the 600. It seems like a better saw for what i do.

/ thoughts on echo cs 680 #5  
The echos are nice saws. But they are still just a tad slower than the competition. But the 5-year warrenty partly makes up for that.

Any good saw shop will let you try a saw before you buy it. So dont be afraid to shop around and different brands. Stihl and husky both make great proucts, but IMO, for the money, Dolmar still has an edge. They are usually about $100 cheaper than the comprable husky/stihl. Take a look at the PS6400/7300/7900 line from dolmar if you have a dealer near you.

But no matter what you choose, or what brand, ANY new pro grad saw is going to seem like night and day difference compared to your vintage 40-year old saws:thumbsup:

I think the only dolmar dealer anywhere near us closed and the 40-60 year old saws i have are a work in progress restoration project, but man are they loud:D

/ thoughts on echo cs 680 #7  
Both are built just as good and any pro Husky or Stilh saw and if they cut slower it's nothing to write home about. There have been qiute a few reports the the Echo CS600 and Stihl MS361 are about dead even in cutting speed. Every Echo I've run has a nice wide power band compared to some saws with a peaky powerband and if you ever need parts they are reasonable. Steve

thanks I think i will take a good look at the echos when it comes time to get a new saw (Although i am kinda partial to stihls)

/ thoughts on echo cs 680 #9  
I have the CS670 which preceded the 680. I haven't checked to see if it actually has a larger displacement engine or is just the new numbering system along with the paint change. My 670 is white and the new ones are orange/red.

I've had my 670 five years and its been a great saw. I have the 20" bar and it has more than enough power. I picked up a 27" bar to have for the big trees but that is probably a little too much for the saw. I would probably go no bigger than the 24" bar.

The saw is used all year long as I have a wood burning stove and help my brother with his cutting as well. I'm also thinning a 5 acre 30 year old stand of pines so it gets a lot of use. The only problem I had was the chain bar tension adjuster broke. It was around $50 to fix.

I would not hesitate to buy another Echo chainsaw. In fact, I'm always watching for a nice used CS8000 which is Echo's largest saw. I know that saw will handle that 27" bar I have. Used ones are going for close to new price so I'll have to keep looking or break down and buy new.

looks more and more like i will be getting an echo, but I will be buying my first tractor this fall and since I am 14 i will be getting all my money from a summer job.:( I am just not sure weather i can afford both a new saw and an old ford 8n (and restoration).:thumbsup: