031av muffler repair, use JBWeld??

/ 031av muffler repair, use JBWeld?? #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
The side flange (support piece) on my 031av muffler has come loose... Do you think JB weld would/could be used to repair it?

I took a quick look at ebay a new muffler was $70, used ones were $20ish, but most seemed to have 'issues' .. I am heading to a dealer to see their cost, but for no more than it gets used I cant see putting $70 in a almost 40 yr old saw..

If not JB Weld, any other suggestions?

Brian

/ 031av muffler repair, use JBWeld?? #2  
I doubt that JB would take the heat. May have to silver solder it.

/ 031av muffler repair, use JBWeld?? #3  
Is it unusable as it is? Other than being louder, is there a problem?

/ 031av muffler repair, use JBWeld?? #4  
The muffler will get hot enough to burn the JB Weld and you will have a real mess. I had an 031 AV up until 2 years ago. It was a good reliable saw but it vibrated much more than the newer saws due. The 031's still seem to be a hot seller on ebay in the $150 range.
There is a good used muffler on ebay right now for your saw for $19.99 buy it now.
The auction item # is: 140530606039

/ 031av muffler repair, use JBWeld??
Is it unusable as it is? Other than being louder, is there a problem?

It appears to be usable as is.. not sure if the gasses coming out of the side of the muffler toward the bar would be ideal though..

Looking online i found some Permatex puddys and such for exhaust repairs.. Anyone try those?

Brian

/ 031av muffler repair, use JBWeld?? #6  
Bronze it? If its possible, it would be the only method id trust

Bronze it? If its possible, it would be the only method id trust

I am assuming, since i have no idea how to 'bronze' is - that its not a DIY job.. LOL

Brian

/ 031av muffler repair, use JBWeld?? #8  
Could you post a pic of damage.

I had a 031 with the module going out it. Run 30mins heat up, break up, shut down. Wait to cool to do it again. The part that was going bad was NLA.

I noticed back then the 031 had 2 different muffler types.

/ 031av muffler repair, use JBWeld?? #9  
I am assuming, since i have no idea how to 'bronze' is - that its not a DIY job.. LOL

Brian

:thumbsup: Sorry. Bronze = Braze ("solder") using acetylene touch with bronze filler rod. Would definitely be DIY assuming you had a torch... Good excuse to go buy one :D

Could you post a pic of damage.

I had a 031 with the module going out it. Run 30mins heat up, break up, shut down. Wait to cool to do it again. The part that was going bad was NLA.

I noticed back then the 031 had 2 different muffler types.

the muffler on the saw has a different looking exhaust hole than the ones I see on ebay.. This saw does NOT have a chain brake, so it is an earlier model than most you see..

My neighbor is a certified welder and he thought he could fix it for me, so i just dropped it off at his house this morning.. It was a stress crack/fracture - when i took it apart one of the header bolts was missing and the other was loose - so i think the shaking cracked the piece..

I can't find a pic of it except on ebay.. But the flange that broke has a bolt that goes thru/near that chain oiler into the muffler..

The muffler is no longer available (no surprise there) - BUT the dealer list price would be $170 if they had one in stock... $70 for new or $30 for used on ebay sounds better and better if the welding doesnt help..

Brian