Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    MM M5

Default Re: I think tomorrow is the day!

The 290 will cut with a 25" bar but not very fast, It will be even worse untill it get broke in with 5 to 10 tanks of fuel. A better setup would be a .325 20" Steve

Tractor
    none now

Man last time I priced a 290 they were $359 last year.

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Quote Originally Posted by xyz123 View Post
    Man last time I priced a 290 they were $359 last year.
    25" bar and chain are going to add a good bit to the price. As I remember 16" bar was the standard when I bought mine.

MarkV

Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

I still haven't tried out my saw yet as it is raining once again (rains a lot in the Pacific NW) so it is just idling in the shed until our weather improves. I did however get a picture of it getting acquainted to its new home and being with my Husqvarna. So now I have a big saw and a little one which I will not stop there, depending on how well my 290 preforms, I may have to look into a bigger saw as i plan on working with firewood for a long time since I got a log splitter. For now i will make do with what i have and see where I go from there. I will be comparing my 290 with my step Dad's 290 which has a 20" bar and I wont compare it with my Husqvarna as i will definitely notice the difference there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I think tomorrow is the day!-014.jpg   I think tomorrow is the day!-024.jpg   I think tomorrow is the day!-023.jpg   I think tomorrow is the day!-019.jpg   I think tomorrow is the day!-003.jpg  

My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

The first thing I notice is that you have a great spot for this work. Another is that most if not all of those logs are far smaller then the length of your chainsaw bar. I think the real comparison to your dad's 290 should include how much the longer bar helps or hinders the work, how tired you feel at the end of a full day with one saw as opposed to another. It is not just line up the two guys and see who makes three cuts faster. It's how you feel after using the tool for 6-8 hours.

The guy that cut those trees surely knows how to use a chainsaw from the looks of the hinges on the logs.
    It's the going that counts not the distance!

Tractor
    none now

Quote Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
    25" bar and chain are going to add a good bit to the price. As I remember 16" bar was the standard when I bought mine.

MarkV
    They had a 20" on them for that here.

That husky 235 has a 35cc strato poulan heart with husky coil spring av. I have a poulan version. They are what they are cheap price, heavy for cc size trim saw or loaner saws.

25" bar I'm grabbing this.

Tractor
    none now

Your 290's probably came with RMC or RM3 chain. If you want to surprise your dad. Put a loop of RSC on your saw. In one cut that chain was 35% faster then the RM chains. Square file the RSC chain to a RSLK and it was 50% faster in 1 cut testing.

Then (someday) muffler mod and carb adjustment will get you another 20%-23% faster.

Been there tested that.

Silver Member LoveTheSmellofDiesel's Avatar
    Tractor
    Kubota B7610

Nice looking machine and great looking property!
    Kubota B7610, 54"MMM, LA352 FEL, King Kutter Carry All, Scotts (Deere) 16HP 42"MMM LT160, Stihl Chainsaw, Leaf Blower, and Trimmer, 1,500lb GC Manufacturing Forks, 17cu ft Agrifab Trailer, 48" United Box Blade, 2 pallets with chain and stone dirt leveler

Link to my project: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...d-remodel.html

LD1
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Nice saw, but I definatally agree with others here, if you burry all 25" of that bar into a log, shes gonna be wanting more power.

Heck, there are many times I wished I had more power with my 84cc ported dolmar when the 24" bar gets burried. And a saw that sized, just wouldnt seem balanced well with that bar but to each his own.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Kioti CK30

Well, since you have it mounted up with the 25" B/C, if you're wanting for more chain speed you can try skip chain. (less cutters/more connecting links) It will help. 18-20" is the most I'd personally put on a 290, plus don't see anything in those piles that size wouldn't cut easily. But I understand it's a West Coast thing. I've seen 026/260s w/ 25" B/C full skip setups for limbing.

Good luck putting up your wood this summer. I have a bunch of Sugar Maple to split and put up. Most of it will need to be quartered with a saw just so I can move it to the splitter.
    Kioti CK30, Woods 1012 FEL QA, Woods HD Pallet Forks, Woods RB, Woods toothbar, 5' rotary type mower of unknown origin, Danuser 3pt digger, Woods BH80x w/thumb, Kioti 72" BB, Kioti 72" LR, Woods GTO60 tiller, King Kutter 78" disk harrow and Wildkat 48" grapple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12