I think tomorrow is the day!

/ I think tomorrow is the day! #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
Tomorrow i will hopefully be bringing home a new 2011 STIHL MS290 Farm Boss with a 25" bar. Price is $410.00 + a Free lunch from the local Deere Dealer. Sounds like a good deal to me. :thumbsup: I also am getting some chaps from my Dad and a helmet with the built in face mask and ear muffs. So I should be set as my Husqvarna 235e is a bit small to cut 18 more cord of wood. :eek: :p I will of course get some pictures for you guys too. :thumbsup:

/ I think tomorrow is the day! #2  
LOL, I though you were talking about the end of the world.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ I think tomorrow is the day!
LOL, I though you were talking about the end of the world.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Nah, that's why it's in the chainsaw forum. :laughing: I didn't know that the end of the world was tomorrow. :confused2: I better hurry to get that chainsaw. :laughing:

/ I think tomorrow is the day! #4  
It is only my opinion but I think the 18 or 20" bars are plenty for a saw that size. Unless you have some really big rounds to cut through. Then that saw might be a bit small if the wood is that big. I have an MS390 with 18" and 20" bars and I could probably sell the 20" as I have not used it more the 4-5 times in the past 4-5 years. But Oregon is known for large trees so I don't know.

It is only my opinion but I think the 18 or 20" bars are plenty for a saw that size. Unless you have some really big rounds to cut through. Then that saw might be a bit small if the wood is that big. I have an MS390 with 18" and 20" bars and I could probably sell the 20" as I have not used it more the 4-5 times in the past 4-5 years. But Oregon is known for large trees so I don't know.

I attached a picture of the logs i will be cutting. Oregon definitely has some big wood, the guys who came out and cut down all these trees said the biggest tree they had ever cut was 9'2" in diameter. Lately they have been cutting a stand that is a good 5-6' in diameter. For me, i wont be dealing with that huge stuff, just rounds ranging from 8"-30". My goal is to cut all of these logs by the end of June and have them all split and stacked by mid July. :thumbsup: We don't have a fence line on the property but we will have a fence line of cord wood on pallets. :laughing: In fact I already have 4 cord already split and stacked. :) Hopefully with this new saw it will boost productivity by a bit. :)

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    920.1 KB · Views: 285
   / I think tomorrow is the day! #6  
good for you the 290 is a great saw. I would have to agree with easygo concerning the 25" bar being a bit much. Try it and see and I think you will purchase a 18 or 20" bar for your 290. You can always keep it and use it when you really need the bigger bar. Usually a 25" bar is 70cc saw territory. enjoy the new saw and be safe.

Steve

/ I think tomorrow is the day! #7  
I run a 290 with a 20" bar and feel the need for more power at times. I believe the 25" bar will be a bit much for that saw.

MarkV

/ I think tomorrow is the day! #8  
I run a 290 with a 20" bar and feel the need for more power at times. I believe the 25" bar will be a bit much for that saw.

MarkV

I agree. I have a 290 Farm Boss, and while it is a good saw I think it will "just" get you by with that size wood the pics. Will it cut it? Sure, but it will be working its tail off. A 25'' bar will be to much for that saw. Whatever bar you end up with, get chisel chains for it. The saw will perform much better with them.

I got my saw! With the 25" bar, I am gonna see how well it preforms in these conditions, it it struggles for power than i will likely get a 20" bar for it. I got all the safety gear from my Dad yesterday so I will be working as safe as possible. I also got some bar oil and oil for the gas mix that will add an extra 1 year to the 1 year warranty if i use it. Top it all off I also got a case from my Dad to keep my saw stored when I'm not using it. :) In total I got the saw for $400 so i think i got a fair deal. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    922.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    899.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    919.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    920.1 KB · Views: 217
   / I think tomorrow is the day! #10  
Glad to see you got the chaps and the helmet. I am a believer in both. It is tempting for me not to not put them on when it is hot. Then my emergency room doctor friend explained how bad chain saw injures were for him to repair. I make sure I do it every time now.

Let us know how that big bar works on that saw. I have been happy with my 290 with a smaller 20" bar.

MarkV