Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

Default I think tomorrow is the day!

Tomorrow i will hopefully be bringing home a new 2011 STIHL MS290 Farm Boss with a 25" bar. Price is $410.00 + a Free lunch from the local Deere Dealer. Sounds like a good deal to me. I also am getting some chaps from my Dad and a helmet with the built in face mask and ear muffs. So I should be set as my Husqvarna 235e is a bit small to cut 18 more cord of wood. I will of course get some pictures for you guys too.
    My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club

Veteran Member

Default Re: I think tomorrow is the day!

LOL, I though you were talking about the end of the world.

Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

Quote Originally Posted by Transit View Post
    LOL, I though you were talking about the end of the world.
    Nah, that's why it's in the chainsaw forum. I didn't know that the end of the world was tomorrow. I better hurry to get that chainsaw.
    My Fleet:
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

It is only my opinion but I think the 18 or 20" bars are plenty for a saw that size. Unless you have some really big rounds to cut through. Then that saw might be a bit small if the wood is that big. I have an MS390 with 18" and 20" bars and I could probably sell the 20" as I have not used it more the 4-5 times in the past 4-5 years. But Oregon is known for large trees so I don't know.
    It's the going that counts not the distance!

Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

Quote Originally Posted by easygo View Post
    It is only my opinion but I think the 18 or 20" bars are plenty for a saw that size. Unless you have some really big rounds to cut through. Then that saw might be a bit small if the wood is that big. I have an MS390 with 18" and 20" bars and I could probably sell the 20" as I have not used it more the 4-5 times in the past 4-5 years. But Oregon is known for large trees so I don't know.
    I attached a picture of the logs i will be cutting. Oregon definitely has some big wood, the guys who came out and cut down all these trees said the biggest tree they had ever cut was 9'2" in diameter. Lately they have been cutting a stand that is a good 5-6' in diameter. For me, i wont be dealing with that huge stuff, just rounds ranging from 8"-30". My goal is to cut all of these logs by the end of June and have them all split and stacked by mid July. We don't have a fence line on the property but we will have a fence line of cord wood on pallets. In fact I already have 4 cord already split and stacked. Hopefully with this new saw it will boost productivity by a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -002-jpg  
    My Fleet:
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Tractor
    L3830

good for you the 290 is a great saw. I would have to agree with easygo concerning the 25" bar being a bit much. Try it and see and I think you will purchase a 18 or 20" bar for your 290. You can always keep it and use it when you really need the bigger bar. Usually a 25" bar is 70cc saw territory. enjoy the new saw and be safe.

Steve

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

I run a 290 with a 20" bar and feel the need for more power at times. I believe the 25" bar will be a bit much for that saw.

MarkV

Tractor
    Kubota, L4400, BX1870

Quote Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
    I run a 290 with a 20" bar and feel the need for more power at times. I believe the 25" bar will be a bit much for that saw.

MarkV
    I agree. I have a 290 Farm Boss, and while it is a good saw I think it will "just" get you by with that size wood the pics. Will it cut it? Sure, but it will be working its tail off. A 25'' bar will be to much for that saw. Whatever bar you end up with, get chisel chains for it. The saw will perform much better with them.
    Kubota L4400 - Land pride rear scraper blade, 6 foot landscape rake, 72'' Frontier Box Blade, Land Pride 60'' finish mower, Land Pride Q/A pallet forks, County Line Carryall built to haul and loaded R-1's
    Kubota RTV500
    Kubota BX1870

Previous Tractors: 1978 B7100, 2009 B3200

Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

I got my saw! With the 25" bar, I am gonna see how well it preforms in these conditions, it it struggles for power than i will likely get a 20" bar for it. I got all the safety gear from my Dad yesterday so I will be working as safe as possible. I also got some bar oil and oil for the gas mix that will add an extra 1 year to the 1 year warranty if i use it. Top it all off I also got a case from my Dad to keep my saw stored when I'm not using it. In total I got the saw for $400 so i think i got a fair deal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -036-jpg   -034-jpg   -035-jpg   -042-jpg  
    My Fleet:
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Glad to see you got the chaps and the helmet. I am a believer in both. It is tempting for me not to not put them on when it is hot. Then my emergency room doctor friend explained how bad chain saw injures were for him to repair. I make sure I do it every time now.

Let us know how that big bar works on that saw. I have been happy with my 290 with a smaller 20" bar.

MarkV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast