Big Jacks Tools?$

/ Big Jacks Tools?$ #11  
It is made in china but is is $109.99 for a 52cc, w/ 18" bar , almost want to just try it , how bad could it be ?

I bought two of those saws from BigJack. They do require a little tweaking, but they are excellent for the dough. My first was a bit better, and came with some kind of magic indestructible chain that STILL is sharp, and I cut and bucked a LOT of trees with it. Unfortunately, I accidentally ran over it with my L4200 and smashed it flat. It's homeowner grade, but is solid - I think all of a 455 and a quarter the price.

Chronicles are here:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/143798.htm

I immediately bought another, and it is working fine, but I haven't spent the time to really tune it up. It isn't quite as nice as the first and the chain went dull quickly (I put the first saw's chain onto it and it's going strong again) - trigger isn't quite as smooth, although that might be fixable with a little tweaking. I also have a Stihl 036 Pro, but it attacked me a couple of weeks ago (dozen stitches), so it's currently being punished.

Incidentally, there are a whole pile of saws that are identical to that one, marketed for prices ranging from $100 to $300. I've seen them go as cheap as $60 on Ebay. Pay attention to the pictures (look at the saw details) and don't get fooled by the colors - they are all identical.

JayC

Attachments

• 52cc saws.JPG
    52cc saws.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 370
   / Big Jacks Tools?$ #12  
Would this be a good time to bring up the Chinese and their respect for patents and copyright? Yeah,,, didnt think so:mad: But hey, its cheap....

Buying this stuff just encourages companies to bring more. Vicious circle.

/ Big Jacks Tools?$
Went with a Poulan 42cc,18"bar for $149.00 came with a case and extra chain

/ Big Jacks Tools?$ #14  
Went with a Poulan 42cc,18"bar for $149.00 came with a case and extra chain

Just a word of caution. The new poulans come in set way lean most of the time. Check the tune and adjust the H side richer. JMO.
Once out of warranty, muffler mod and adjust that carb again and they wake up even for a 33cc - 46cc saw.

/ Big Jacks Tools?$ #15  
Would this be a good time to bring up the Chinese and their respect for patents and copyright? Yeah,,, didnt think so:mad: But hey, its cheap....

+1

plus reading through AS thread posted; a new saw that needs to be tweaked just to run safely, regardless of the price is not a bargin in my book. I don't consider fit & finish on clutch covers and centrifical clutches on high rpm two smokes to be a minor issue...... Then there is the issue of promoting products that back door around product safety testing hoops that every other major manufacturer has jump through.

/ Big Jacks Tools?$ #16  

Usually they just copy expired pattens of things that work very well.

/ Big Jacks Tools?$ #17  
Just a word of caution. The new poulans come in set way lean most of the time. Check the tune and adjust the H side richer. JMO.
Once out of warranty, muffler mod and adjust that carb again and they wake up even for a 33cc - 46cc saw.

Same with me but they make those needles so hard to find and turn... I finally used tweezers on mine and got it to run better..
I wonder how many get returned becasue they dont run...:D
probably why I find em in the dump.

/ Big Jacks Tools?$ #18  
Usually they just copy expired pattens of things that work very well.
Not to get too sidetracked, but china has a well established history of copying CURRENT devices. They dont wait till any patent expires. Look at the Honda small engine clones. The US international Trade Commission estimated that US companies lose $48,000,000,000.00 to china's thievery. Thats a lot of zeros. http://www.usitc.gov/press_room/news_release/2011/er0518jj2.htm

Something recent from a different field that i just read: Take OtterBox cases for cellphones. Current popular (and expensive) design that China copied, now they're fighting to stop the import of Chinese clones.

OtterBox Tries To Get Chinese Phone Cases Banned - HotHardware

This is just one of many. Id be very curious to see how much they they had in common with one of the big 2 chainsaw manufacturers underneath that plastic. Id bet its an exact clone of either a Stihl or Husky