Stilh 025 lacking power?

/ Stilh 025 lacking power? #1  

Rookiestihl5

Hey guys , iv just inherited my first chainsaw a stilh 025 saw that looks like it has had a hard life. I have spent a bit of time on her , washed the tank out new plug, air filter, fuel and oil, reset the carby it's running "alright" now but the problem is when I'm cutting it seams really gutless . I have put a new chain on her with no change in performance at all ! I have removed the on board clutch andwould like to know of there is ment to be some sort of friction pads on the outer of the clutch walls ? Shorly it's not metal on metal Any help at all would be much appreciated cheers

/ Stilh 025 lacking power? #2  
When you say gutless is that only under load? What is the WOT rpm? I don't have an 025 spec sheet with me but think it should be 12500. If you are getting that and lose rpm significantly on log contact that would be a different problem than poor cutting performance with proper rpm maintained after the bar is in the log.
More info on what you are seeing/ hearing might help.

/ Stilh 025 lacking power? #3  
Check to see if the muffler screen is clean, otherwise carb settings either too rich or to lean will cause a saw to be gutless. Steve

/ Stilh 025 lacking power?
Yeah I have removed the muffler and spark arrester was not overly blocked, as for rpm ? I don't have a tacho but when the bar is still roughly half way in and full throttle the saw seems to bog down and struggles to cut the smallest logs Hope that's enough info thanks

/ Stilh 025 lacking power? #5  
Yeah I have removed the muffler and spark arrester was not overly blocked, as for rpm ? I don't have a tacho but when the bar is still roughly half way in and full throttle the saw seems to bog down and struggles to cut the smallest logs Hope that's enough info thanks

you probably have an air leak most likely in the gas line or line to carburetor fit. The lines deteriorate over the years and produce minute cracks. Replace them.

/ Stilh 025 lacking power?
Yeah they look fine I might just replace them to be safe any idea were I can get hold of a manual ? Thanks alot for the help

/ Stilh 025 lacking power? #7  
You don't want the spark arrestor blocked at all, gone is better. What saw are you compareing it too, a 025 should have decent power for 45cc but it's no 60 cc saw. Steve

/ Stilh 025 lacking power? #8  
   / Stilh 025 lacking power? #9  
When I first read your post I thought you had replaced the fuel and oil lines but on rereading the post I see that you put in new fuel and oil, not new lines and pickup bodies. I would definitely replace the fuel line and pickup body. Stihl recommends that be done yearly (probably overkill but if it has been a long time well worth the little cost)

I was looking to see if I had an 025 service manual but I have an 024 and a 026 service manual and IPL but no 025. As someone else posted the Stihl site has owners manual that you can download. You might try a google search for the 025 service and repair manual. If the carb mixture screws are way off that could cause a lack of power as well.
Don't know if I am allowed to mention the exact web forum and thread but PM me and I can supply it to you. People go there all the time to get service manuals and IPL. Since May 15 there have been 4 requests for an 025 IPL and service manual. You may have been one of them for all I know. Let me know and I will send you the link separately.

Last edited: