What are you paying for Stihl chain?

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #11  
Paid $26.50 for a 25" 3/8 full chisel chain last Saturday at my local Stihl dealer. It's for an MS460.

The full chisel is ticket when your cutting a bar full of wood. When I think back to the McCulloch and Craftsman and Poulan saws I've used in the past, there is no comaprison to the cutting ability of my Stihl.

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #12  
Stihl dealers like to get .40 a drive link for their chains. Your first chain was over that price at .45. So buying both you got it for the going stihl price. About .34 DL for both. No deal at all.

Also when you get tired of the RMC3 chain. Save it rmc for dirty wood and run some RSC on both of those saws in clean cutting.

Is it a 261 or 291? You have both listed. You wont lose any $$$ on the 660 long as you take care of it. Especially if the MS661 turns out to be a :p

Enjoy and have fun.

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #13  
Wow a 660! You cutting Sequoia trees?! Lol!

Seriously be careful... That's a pro saw with big hp... Around 10 hp I think.

A saw like a MS361 would be a better choice I think. Or at the biggest a 440.

Good luck

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #14  
Congratulations on a great set of saws.

The 660 is a lot of saw as several have stated. Most of the 660's out here (PNW) are sold with full chisel non-safety chain. This gives you a saw of a completely different set of characteristics. You did not mention what chain was on the 660 only the 261 (RMC3) but if you don't have anti-kickback safety chain on the 660 be very carefull. Invest in some good safety chaps and vest and wear them ALL the time when cutting. Helmet and face guard as well. There are several threads and even some pictures on this forum that you don't want to be you. Understand kickback and its causes thoroughly if you don't already.

Never much liked or used the RM-series chain but since the RMC3 which you say you have is only available in .325 pitch if you do switch to the chisel RSC3 as several have mentioned, know that you will most likely have to switch out your sprocket and bar because the tooth count on the sprocket and bar gauge changes from RMC3 to RSC3 chain.

I would agree that you did not get taken on the chain price but you did not get a good deal either. Of course I don't know the going price back on the east coast for chain.

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #15  
That's a pro saw with big hp... Around 10 hp I think.

Good luck

Close.:laughing: But it is only 7 HP.

But you are correct. It can be a very dangerous saw in the hands of an inexperienced operator

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #16  
This thread has got me wanting a new Stihl!

I'd probably get a 460 though......

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain?
Well to put that 660 in context I've never laid eyes on one........44 series is the biggest I've seen a logger running around here (not much big timber or sawhands left though). Dad is having some cypress cut right now by a crew that still uses a sawhand to notch the trees so the cutter can take them down....he probably uses a saw in that range with a 25" bar.

The power of the big professional saws is all about felling and power to weight ratio. When you are stooped over stumping timber for hours you want that thing to get it for energy and safety.

You probably could have got by with a 362 and a couple different bars for when you do run into a big tree.....but those saws should last you for years and years.

I've got a professional model Stihl trimmer and a residential model trimmer with the interchangeable attachment we use for a pole saw. I'll never buy another non-pro model anything!

I was initially going to go with the 250 (occassional use) saw and a 460. I thought the 660 would be ridiculously overpriced. The 460 was going to cost me $950 and the quote on the 660 was $1,043. Figured what the heck.

Then, I changed my mind on the 250 too. I was initially going to use it for limbing and such, and use the 460 for the trunk, etc. Figured I might as well spend another $400 and not sit there on some 100 degree day wondering how much quicker I could be back home drinking lemonade.

For right now, I know I will be using these saws to cut 4+ cords of wood a year for the wood burning furnace. My parents need a new furnace/AC too, but they are holding out this year. Personally, I think my dad is holding out to see what the furnace I get is like so he can decide on what he wants to do. He is also eyeing an insert for his fireplace. If he goes either route, we will be cutting even more wood.

The bigger plan is to eventually buy a farm. We just moved into this single family home on 2 acres and I am already looking at a 120 acre farm on the eastern shore of Maryland. I am also taking the eventual farm purchase into account in contemplating my tractor purchase. I could probably get by with a 1 series or 2x20 series John Deere here, but will probably get a 3x20 series. So many plans, not enough time or money.

Again, worst case scenario I am scared to death of the 660 and it goes on Craigslist or E-bay. I just have nightmares of cutting some huge trees down in 100 degree weather as a teenager with those McCullochs. The homeowner felt so bad for us that she was constantly leaving lemonade on the front porch for us. Ah, the good old days.

Congrats on the new saws. You may have gone a bit overboard with that 660. Lotta saw for the amount of firewood you are going to cut. Some of that money may have been better spent going towards a splitter.

Dad already has a splitter and this morning he volunteered to give it to me since I have a lot more room here than he does. I asked him what about when he needs it and his reply was "I'll know exactly where it is and I have keys to the house already." My brother has a heavy duty 5x10 trailer, but he needs tags for it. So, I am in the process of getting those. He hasn't used it for years and it is sitting in his 2 car garage. I already spoke to him about this and he is also going to let me keep it up here because he doesn't have anything to tow it with right now. Ultimately, I want a 7x18 trailer to haul cars/tractors, but that is a topic for another day.

Stihl dealers like to get .40 a drive link for their chains. Your first chain was over that price at .45. So buying both you got it for the going stihl price. About .34 DL for both. No deal at all.

Also when you get tired of the RMC3 chain. Save it rmc for dirty wood and run some RSC on both of those saws in clean cutting.

Is it a 261 or 291? You have both listed. You wont lose any $$$ on the 660 long as you take care of it. Especially if the MS661 turns out to be a :p

Enjoy and have fun.

Sorry about that. It is the MS261. 18" bar, 3.75hp and somewhere around 11.5 pounds. It looked like it had a pretty decent power to weight ratio, so I decided to go with it instead of the 250.