What are you paying for Stihl chain?

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain?
Close.:laughing: But it is only 7 HP.

But you are correct. It can be a very dangerous saw in the hands of an inexperienced operator

Any chainsaw can be dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced operator. Heck, a chainsaw is still dangerous in the hands of an experienced operator.

Regarding my experience, I do not cut wood for a living. Never really did. We cut a lot of trees when I was younger. My dad did this stuff to earn extra money on the side. Of course, most of these trees were monsters and we were using a 16" and 20" McCulloch. I have never really had an issue with kickback, but know what it is. I also understand how the bar can get bound into the wood. Don't plan on doing much plunge cutting with the 660 and can't see where the nose of the bar would come into contact with anything unless the tree is over 25" in diameter and I am not paying attention to my cut.

The difference between the 460 and 660 is 1 hp and a couple of pounds. Figured that picking up another 1 hp for $93 would be worth it. That is the accountant in me.

FYI - Just finished reading the entire manual for both saws tonight and the entire reason I am back on the board is because I have a couple more questions.

Congratulations on a great set of saws.

The 660 is a lot of saw as several have stated. Most of the 660's out here (PNW) are sold with full chisel non-safety chain. This gives you a saw of a completely different set of characteristics. You did not mention what chain was on the 660 only the 261 (RMC3) but if you don't have anti-kickback safety chain on the 660 be very carefull. Invest in some good safety chaps and vest and wear them ALL the time when cutting. Helmet and face guard as well. There are several threads and even some pictures on this forum that you don't want to be you. Understand kickback and its causes thoroughly if you don't already.

Never much liked or used the RM-series chain but since the RMC3 which you say you have is only available in .325 pitch if you do switch to the chisel RSC3 as several have mentioned, know that you will most likely have to switch out your sprocket and bar because the tooth count on the sprocket and bar gauge changes from RMC3 to RSC3 chain.

I would agree that you did not get taken on the chain price but you did not get a good deal either. Of course I don't know the going price back on the east coast for chain.

Yep. I am the hunter in the woods clothed in blaze orange from head to toe come gun season, and we aren't talking about the camo style with black in it either. Some of the other hunters think I am crazy, but I would prefer to miss a chance on a deer versus catching a rifle bullet or shotgun slug/sabot in my person.

My dad and I had a "discussion" on this a couple of weeks ago when I mentioned buying some protective jeans and a helmet/faceshield/ear protection. His response was something to the effect that people probably become more careless when they are wearing all the protective clothing. My response, if I was in law enforcement I would want to wear a bullet proof vest regardless. Safety wasn't one of my dad's fortes, even though one of his quotes has always been "Parents forgive. Machines do not. They will take a finger, a hand, an arm, and not shed a single tear."

I was planning on buying the protective jeans. Do people generally prefer the chaps? The blaze orange chaps are supposedly the best seller. Might just go with them since I will be able to wear whatever clothing underneath that I so desire based upon the temps outside.

Didn't really see anything regarding a protective vest or jacket on the Stihl website. Is there a line of protective clothing other than Stihl that you would recommend?

I have already seen pics of injuries from kickback, and trust me, I don't want that to be me.

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #24  
I was planning on buying the protective jeans. Do people generally prefer the chaps? The blaze orange chaps are supposedly the best seller. Might just go with them since I will be able to wear whatever clothing underneath that I so desire based upon the temps outside.

Didn't really see anything regarding a protective vest or jacket on the Stihl website. Is there a line of protective clothing other than Stihl that you would recommend?

I prefer the chaps over jeans as they can be removed easier when it is hot and you are finished cutting or taking a break. The full wrap chaps give a little more protection than the normal apron chaps for the back of the legs. I wrote vest when I should have written shirt. Good protection on the arms where you want it.

Stihl part number for the medium shirt is 0000 886 3517
Sthil part number for the wrap around chaps 0000 886 3907

Last time a replaced them was 3 years ago; $66.95 and $98.95 respectively. Don't know how much they have gone up since then.

I like Stihl products so am willing to pay for what I get. You can get other brand chaps but have not seen them in the wrap around style, only the apron chap style.

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #25  
The stock exhaust outlet in the side is way to small, about pencil eraser size or tad bigger.

If you feel your 660 is underpowered. You can put a stock stihl dual port cover on it and get a carb adjustment, this should keep you under your warranty.

Dont fall for the trap of the $100 metal pipe in the cover. You can do it yourself.

If you wait to do it after warranty you can just open your side exhaust out let and open your front cover yourself and then carb adjustment.

Factory DP cover

066MS660006.jpg

Homemade cover with pipe

066MS660003.jpg

084 cover using husky deflector. For homemade I like this way best. Flows exhaust same way as factory.

CopyofCavemanmufflermods001.jpg

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #26  
Close.:laughing: But it is only 7 HP.

But you are correct. It can be a very dangerous saw in the hands of an inexperienced operator

Thank you for the correction... I was thinking of the MS880 which is 8.6 hp. Either way I was wrong! LOL!!!

I prefer the chaps over jeans as they can be removed easier when it is hot and you are finished cutting or taking a break. The full wrap chaps give a little more protection than the normal apron chaps for the back of the legs. I wrote vest when I should have written shirt. Good protection on the arms where you want it.

Stihl part number for the medium shirt is 0000 886 3517
Sthil part number for the wrap around chaps 0000 886 3907

Last time a replaced them was 3 years ago; $66.95 and $98.95 respectively. Don't know how much they have gone up since then.

I like Stihl products so am willing to pay for what I get. You can get other brand chaps but have not seen them in the wrap around style, only the apron chap style.

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably go with the Stihl protective gear too. So many people swear by Stihl. I will say that I wasn't too impressed with the MS261 today. Granted, it cut really well with the new chain and it worked just fine once I got it started, but it took a little while to get it started. About 8 pulls if I had to guess. Half spent getting the first blip out of it and then the other half getting it started. It went through the wood pretty decently though, but nothing spectacular. Nothing was bigger than 16" and I could cut through it all with a single pass.

Hoping that the MS261 begins to shine as I break it in and that it develops more power and becomes easier to start. Ultimately, I am hoping that it lasts me 20+ years and cords and cords of wood.

Here is a pic from today's cutting, splitting, and hauling.

Attachments

• Wood Scrounge.jpg
    Wood Scrounge.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 230
Thanks to everybody for the replies. I think I am going to get some 18" RSC chain for the MS261. I've got 3 of the RMC chains right now that will probably last me quite a while, but figure I might as well get the RSC chain and give it a try. Plus, I have found it on e-bay for just a little over $1 an inch. At the dealer it is practically $1.50 an inch when it isn't on sale.

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #29  
Any chainsaw can be dangerous in the hands of
The difference between the 460 and 660 is 1 hp and a couple of pounds. Figured that picking up another 1 hp for $93 would be worth it. That is the accountant in me.

That probably is a good tradeoff for the way you will be using the saw.....but if one is working in the woods getting paid by the ton you don't carry that two pounds unless you absolutely need that 1 HP.

That probably is a good tradeoff for the way you will be using the saw.....but if one is working in the woods getting paid by the ton you don't carry that two pounds unless you absolutely need that 1 HP.

If I had to do this for a living, you can bet I would be carrying the lightest saw possible that had the amount of horsepower and bar length that I need, and I would not be carrying anything more or less. Since I will mostly be cutting wood that is at a farm or that is dropped off at my place or my parents' place by tree service companies, I don't have to carry that saw very far. Plus, I will almost always be bringing both saws. If the MS261 can get the job done, that is what I will be using. If I look at something and it is 30+ inches of hardwood, I will be breaking out the MS660 and probably wishing I had gone with the 36" bar. LOL

Thanks for your help with this.