New Stihl MS290 starting

/ New Stihl MS290 starting #1  

TNTractor1

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 JD2520
I am a new 290 owner... my first chainsaw. I have used it a couple of times, but lately can't get it started. I am following the manual as far as i can tell. With the 1st or second pull it starts but dies quickly and then you can forget about it... just sounds flooded. Seems like a great saw, but I wish I knew the secret to not flood it. Thanks

/ New Stihl MS290 starting #2  
You choke it and pull the cord. After it "pops" or fires once then take the choke off and pull again. It should start. Pulling the cord a second time with the choke in will cause flooding. Make sure u pull the cord quickly but smoothly as the manual says.

Let us know how it works out.

/ New Stihl MS290 starting #3  
Just like above. But like to add to it.

Move to choke pull till here cough or pop couple pulls usually. Then slide off choke up 1 notch to fast idle start. Pull it should start in a couple pulls and should be running fast idle with chain turning. Blip throttle and it should go to normal idle.
I usually leave run on fast idle for a few seconds to warm up on a cold natured saw.
Once warm just go to first notch down from off position to start.

/ New Stihl MS290 starting #4  
Have you pulled the plug to see if it is wet? If it is not wet than it is not flooded and maybe not getting any fuel. I have an older Husky 371 that if it sits will not get fuel and I need to pour a little into the plug hole to get it started.

/ New Stihl MS290 starting
Thanks for all the advice. I will let you know how it goes.

/ New Stihl MS290 starting
Followed your advice and I got it started. I think before I was making too many pulls with the cold choke on. Thanks again

/ New Stihl MS290 starting #7  
Glad it works! Have fun with your new saw!