Decompression valve on Stihl - Got a question

/ Decompression valve on Stihl - Got a question #31  
The 660 is a monster. Hold on tight. :)

/ Decompression valve on Stihl - Got a question #32  
Fabs, look at the cutter teeth and see about the cutting edge, Cutting into earth or dirt is hard on a chain. You might be able to touch it up with a file, if not heavy damage. Or just take it to the shop and have them sharpen it on a cutter wheel.Never try to force a chain to cut, it should be pulling strips, not making sawdust..

/ Decompression valve on Stihl - Got a question
The 660 is a monster. Hold on tight. :)

Yep, I have already heard that, along with the suggestion that I wear chain mail underneath plate mail with full headgear when I use that thing.

After all the warnings I have received, rest assured that I will be holding on tight and wearing the appropriate safety gear when I use that saw. From the way most people describe it, you would think it should be banned from use because it has eaten so many people.

FYI - I am somewhat joking here, except for the fact that I will be very cautious while using it. Same way with any saw or gun. Doesn't matter if it is a .22 or .410 gauge or a .338 Win Mag or 10 gauge. Safety is always the key.

/ Decompression valve on Stihl - Got a question
Fabs, look at the cutter teeth and see about the cutting edge, Cutting into earth or dirt is hard on a chain. You might be able to touch it up with a file, if not heavy damage. Or just take it to the shop and have them sharpen it on a cutter wheel.Never try to force a chain to cut, it should be pulling strips, not making sawdust..

It is still cutting pretty decently in that chips are coming out of the back of the saw, but I can see some saw dust coming off the tip of the saw. It cuts about 1/2 as well as it did when it was new (i.e., it takes me twice as long to go through the same size log). So, I already swapped it out for a new chain and will sharpen that one once I get my electric chain sharpener for Xmas. I still have 2 other new chains for the saw sitting in the tackle box. Then, I have 3 chains for the 660. Hopefully, that will be enough chain for me to get enough wood to get me started on this "hobby" before I am deep into hunting season. Once waterfowl season gets here in November, I probably won't spend much time cutting wood.

Also bought my dad a couple of new chains. The chain on his Craftsman is pathetic. He tried finishing up a cut I made and all I was seeing was smoke and dust.