Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible?

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #11  
Just a nickles worth of advice. You can count the teeth and write it down, BUT that does not mean the shipper will MATCH your request.....This has happened several times on replacement Stihl chains.. Then you take it {the internet chain} to the saw shop and have it shortened and rerivited. They will tell you they could have done it better and for the same price. I have been there.. Unless you match your chain in the shop yourself??

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #12  
You can count the teeth and write it down,

Another nickles worth :laughing: dont count the teeth as you called it or cutters as they are called. You want to count drive links. :thumbsup:

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible?
Just a nickles worth of advice. You can count the teeth and write it down, BUT that does not mean the shipper will MATCH your request.....This has happened several times on replacement Stihl chains.. Then you take it {the internet chain} to the saw shop and have it shortened and rerivited. They will tell you they could have done it better and for the same price. I have been there.. Unless you match your chain in the shop yourself??

Yeah, the chain I found comes with 62 links out of the box. I've dealt with bicycle chains for the past 25 years and know how to count chain links, regardless of what is hanging above (i.e., cutter and guides) or below them (i.e., drive links).

I think this will work out pretty well. It actually happens to be the same guy I was going to buy RSC chain for my MS261 and MS660. I can get it all shipped in one single package.

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #14  
It takes the local guy less time to peel the chain off the spool, measure, cut and rivit than it does me filling out an on-line order form. God forbid I go to a discount, know-nothing type store..... I'll be standing for a longer time than if I WALKED to the local SE shop and let him do it.

It takes the local guy less time to peel the chain off the spool, measure, cut and rivit than it does me filling out an on-line order form. God forbid I go to a discount, know-nothing type store..... I'll be standing for a longer time than if I WALKED to the local SE shop and let him do it.

The local stores are 15 and 20 minutes away one way. It took me a lot less time to find the chains on e-bay from a single seller and have him ship all 5 to me for $10 total in shipping. I got 5 chains for a total of $95. At the local place that I bought the saws from, I got 2 chains for $50 and that does not include my time to drive there and the cost of gas. Nope, I prefer ordering online and having things sent to me. Now, trying to find help at Sears is utterly ridiculous. Oh, and the guy I ordered the chains from was able to match up a Stihl chain to the Craftsman saw just by me giving him the Craftsman part number.

With that said, it does take 3 or 4 days to receive the chains. Luckily, I am not in a hurry for the chains right now. Otherwise, I would be making that trip to the local guy and paying more for the chains.

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #16  
If I need chain, I just stop in while I am in town for groceries or shuttling the kids, takes almost no time and my $$$ stays in our town. I also KNOW the chain is OEM STIHL chain because he gets it from the distributor directly.

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #17  
Another nickles worth :laughing: dont count the teeth as you called it or cutters as they are called. You want to count drive links. :thumbsup:

Correct, I did not have my hard-drive fully engaged when i wrote cutters??I stand humbly before you waiting for the crack of the ruler across my hand..Sorry.

If I need chain, I just stop in while I am in town for groceries or shuttling the kids, takes almost no time and my $$$ stays in our town. I also KNOW the chain is OEM STIHL chain because he gets it from the distributor directly.

That there is the difference. I don't ever use the term "stop in while I am in town". We are right on the fringe of the city. Maybe 6 miles away from the nearest Stihl dealer and 3 miles away from the nearest grocery store. The dealer Stihl dealer there, an Ace Hardware, is just as expensive as the other Stihl dealer I bought the saws from that is about 13 miles away each way. There is another dealer about 7 miles away, but I haven't checked that place out yet. Who knows, maybe they will be closer to the internet price.

All I know is I paid $52.85 for two 18" chains from the dealer and $95 for five chains (i.e., three 18" and two 25") from a guy on the internet. Seems like a much better deal to me. $10 cheaper with a "free" chain and I don't have to waste any gas.

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #19  
Stihl chain on Craftsman saw

Wouldn't this make the chain worth more then the saw.:D :laughing:

Oregon chains should work fine on the craftsman as long as they are SHARP. They're not as good quility chain and won't last as long nor hold an edge as long, but they should work.

Stihl chain on Craftsman saw

Wouldn't this make the chain worth more then the saw.:D :laughing:

Oregon chains should work fine on the craftsman as long as they are SHARP. They're not as good quility chain and won't last as long nor hold an edge as long, but they should work.

Probably. However, the chain one of the most important parts of the saw. I got the Stihl chain for his saw for $15 a piece plus $1 each for shipping. At sears they wanted $20 for the Craftsman version, which is made by Oregon. So, I think I did pretty good with the Stihl chain for $16 total. Maybe his saw will actually be able to cut something now, even if it is just the small limbs on the tree.