Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible?

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #21  
If I need chain, I just stop in while I am in town for groceries or shuttling the kids, takes almost no time and my $$$ stays in our town. I also KNOW the chain is OEM STIHL chain because he gets it from the distributor directly.

So what would you do if it was Sunday and you had to have chains to tackle a storm falling tree in your yard? You have 11 chains all dull as heck. No stihl, husky, dolmar dealers open around here on Sunday.

Here is how it went down. Guy called. I had spare time that day luckily. I made him a oem :laughing: stihl RSC chain and a oregon 72 CL and sharpened a 72 lg he had and sent him away with 2 new chains and 1 sharpened on the spot in front of him. The next 10 chains I finished sharpening and had ready the next day at $5 apiece.

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #22  
Probably. However, the chain one of the most important parts of the saw. I got the Stihl chain for his saw for $15 a piece plus $1 each for shipping. At sears they wanted $20 for the Craftsman version, which is made by Oregon. So, I think I did pretty good with the Stihl chain for $16 total. Maybe his saw will actually be able to cut something now, even if it is just the small limbs on the tree.

They had a sale on chains {stihl} a couple yrs back for less then $8.00 a piece, I stocked up :thumbsup: I knew oregon was up in price but never figured they'd try to be higher then the MUCH better stihl chains:confused2::confused:

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #23  
So what would you do if it was Sunday and you had to have chains to tackle a storm falling tree in your yard? You have 11 chains all dull as heck. No stihl, husky, dolmar dealers open around here on Sunday.

I have a NEW chain, in the box for those "just in case" times and keep the chain on the saw sharp.

In the event that BOTH chains get ruined on Sunday, there is always TSC :(

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #24  
I have a NEW chain, in the box for those "just in case" times and keep the chain on the saw sharp.

In the event that BOTH chains get ruined on Sunday, there is always TSC :(

Thats what I was trying to open peoples eyes to. Get stuff ahead of time for that just in case of a storm etc.

I used to buy just loops to have on hand for myself, then people started hitting me up with odd ball stuff for them. So I starting buying my own rolls of chain in 3/8 325 3/8lp and spinner and breaker. If you dont use 050 your out of luck :laughing: . Everyone around me uses 050 even on their stihls.

I even bought a stihl usg grinder because I got tired of the rocked out chains people were bringing me to touch up, yeah right.

Stock up extras :thumbsup:

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #25  
Thats what I was trying to open peoples eyes to. Get stuff ahead of time for that just in case of a storm etc.

I used to buy just loops to have on hand for myself, then people started hitting me up with odd ball stuff for them. So I starting buying my own rolls of chain in 3/8 325 3/8lp and spinner and breaker. If you dont use 050 your out of luck :laughing: . Everyone around me uses 050 even on their stihls.

I even bought a stihl usg grinder because I got tired of the rocked out chains people were bringing me to touch up, yeah right.

Stock up extras :thumbsup:

Yes to stocking up! I run 4 saws and have a minimum of 3 loops for each one. I try to keep them all shapr but the "needs sharped" chains get a bit backed up at times. I do them by hand (do have a HF grinder but don't like it - too slow). Takes me about 10 minutes per loop on 20" and that includes mounting saw in vise and mounting the Oregon File guide that sets all the angles.

Harry K

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #26  
Turnkey, you are quick with that sharpening. I use the yellow steel Oregon guide on my stihl saw too. I hate taking one to be ground. I do like the original chains better...

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible?
As an update, I put the new Stihl chain on my dad's Craftsman and what a huge difference. That full chisel chain just cuts right through the wood. Large wood chips even from that small little chain. I think my dad was even shocked to see that kind of performance out of his "tiny" saw, which was probably the biggest thing Craftsman offered at the time he bought it.

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #28  
The full chisel chain makes the difference for me. Sears, TSC, and ACE seem to carry a less agressive style chain. Oregon does have a toll free number on some of their replacement chain packages and the lady I spoke to was able to tell me correctly the replacement chain I needed. Store did not stock, but it was a nice service.

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #29  
Turnkey, you are quick with that sharpening. I use the yellow steel Oregon guide on my stihl saw too. I hate taking one to be ground. I do like the original chains better...

There are two things I do to allow that speed.

1. Sharpen before the chain "needs it"
2. Sharp files - I replace them often and buy the box of a dozen at a time.

Usually 4 or 5 quick strokes a tooth is all I need unless I hit something.

Harry K