Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible?

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #1  

fabsroman

Silver Member
After everything I have read about Stihl chain and actually using mine, I am wondering if I can put a Stihl chain on my dad's Craftsman saw. It is an 18" 40cc saw that was bought in the last 5 years. He wants me to sharpen his chain instead of buying him a new one, but I am pretty sure that thing is dead. He continues to try to cut with it and the difference between his chain and the chain on my saw is night and day. His is throwing out miniscule dust and smoke and mine is throwing out chunks of wood.

Anyway, anybody know whether this is possible and if so, do you have any advice? I was at Sears today looking at what I think is the replacement chain for his saw (i.e., I called him to ask and he has no idea what the model number of the saw is nor which chain he needs) and noticed that it is made by Oregon chain. Thing is, I could not figure out what the pitch, gauge, links, etc. were for the chain.

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #2  
Yes. It is probably 3/8LP on a crafsman 40cc, so stihl chain is called picco. I would bet it is 050 gage. If so and you want semi chisel it would be PM or PMC and if you want a chain with a cutter similar to a RS you would get picco PS3 .

Make sure it is 3/8 low profile and not .325 which I doubt it will be.

Oregon has a good semi chisel too. VXL and VX the craftsman I would bet came with the (not sure on the lettering) VL aka real slow safety chain.

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #3  
Recommend you take the saw into Stihl dealership for a sizing. It might be safe to assume someone else's saw is in original state, it may not be the case. A knowledgable dealer can quickly determine the bar and drive mechanism size and provide the correct chain for your saw.

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible?
Recommend you take the saw into Stihl dealership for a sizing. It might be safe to assume someone else's saw is in original state, it may not be the case. A knowledgable dealer can quickly determine the bar and drive mechanism size and provide the correct chain for your saw.

That is a really good idea. Thanks for the advice. After doing more "googling", I am leaning toward the post above of 3/8" picco. The teeth on my dad's saw look like the picco.

Taking it to my local Stihl dealer will allow me to ask questions like "Will a RS chisel chain work on this?"

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #5  
There are some good threads on this site that answer many questions about chain types/use/etc.

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #6  
No RS for 3/8LP. PS3 is the newest full chisel chain out for picco and is little brother to rs cutter style. 63PS3 is 3/8lp 050.

No RS for 3/8LP. PS3 is the newest full chisel chain out for picco and is little brother to rs cutter style. 63PS3 is 3/8lp 050.

Slowly but surely, I am figuring this out.

The Oregon replacement for the saw is:

91VG062G

The Stihl equivalent is 63PM1.

Now, my big problem seems to be finding it in 62 drive links because it looks like it comes in 64 or 67 drive links. What a PITA.

/ Stihl chain on Craftsman saw - is it possible? #8  
PM1 :thumbdown: 91VG :thumbdown: Junk and slow cutting.

Go with PM PMC PS3 in stihl or oregon VXL VX

Also Carlton or Windsor have some good 3/8lp non safety chain.

Go to your dealer and make sure you have chain in hand so he sees it is 3/8lp 050 and 62dl. Tell him to make you a loop of 62dl in pmc pm ps3. That easy.

Here is a thread where I tested 3/8lp. I didnt have any pmc pm to compare to the others though.

http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/chain/picco-38lp-round-chisel-cutter-chain/msg3491/#new

PM1 :thumbdown: 91VG :thumbdown: Junk and slow cutting.

Go with PM PMC PS3 in stihl or oregon VXL VX

Also Carlton or Windsor have some good 3/8lp non safety chain.

Go to your dealer and make sure you have chain in hand so he sees it is 3/8lp 050 and 62dl. Tell him to make you a loop of 62dl in pmc pm ps3. That easy.

Here is a thread where I tested 3/8lp. I didnt have any pmc pm to compare to the others though.

http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/chain/picco-38lp-round-chisel-cutter-chain/msg3491/#new

Just found a 63PMC-62 that looks like it will work on that saw. The current chain he has on it looks like it is about good enough to cut twigs and maybe small limbs.