Why $ difference MS291 vs MS290 (farm boss)

/ Why $ difference MS291 vs MS290 (farm boss) #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
Over on another forum there is a discussion on the Stihl occasional use and mid-range chainsaws.. I had sorta written off the lower end Stihls as just being a price point saw - but the users of the occasional/mid-range saws seem to be VERY pleased with them..

Looking at the different saws they recommend I was looking at pricing and specs..

Why is the MS 291 about $120 more than the MS290 Farm Boss? Both are very similar in engine size and within .5 lbs in weight..

Thoughts??

Brian

/ Why $ difference MS291 vs MS290 (farm boss) #2  
Is one of them an EZ start?

/ Why $ difference MS291 vs MS290 (farm boss) #3  
It's like the rest of their lineup, as the technology advances so does the price. The 291 is supposed to be more fuel efficient, have better air filtration, lighter weight (.9 lbs. per Stihl's specs) and the almost same hp from a ever so slightly smaller engine. Is it worth the difference - probably not, unless it is getting daily use. I expect it will eventually replace the 290 completely. Probably EPA regs. involved too. In a similiar vein, I bought a 362 last year. It replaced the 361. I wanted the 361, but they had sold their last one and did not know where another was. Not quite as much price difference, the 362 was about $50 more than it's predecessor.

/ Why $ difference MS291 vs MS290 (farm boss)
thanks that makes sense.

om21braz - around here there are at least 2 dealers that still have the 361 in stock - that I have seen in the last few mths.. I had read about others not being able to find a 361 after the 362 came out.

b

/ Why $ difference MS291 vs MS290 (farm boss) #5  
Prices on everything go up over time. Inflation and all.

When a company is planning on comming out with a new saw to replace an older one, they hold off on the mark-up on the old one until the new one hits the market. That is the perfect time for the price increase.

No doubt, they probabally arent making the 290 anymore. When current stock is sold, the 291 will take over at the increased price.

/ Why $ difference MS291 vs MS290 (farm boss) #6  
The 291 is a totally new animal from the 290 with the new stratified engine. The same when they went from the 361 to 362 and the 440 to 441 as well as the 260 to 261. The whole line up will eventually be stratified. These new saws are much more fuel effiecient, better air filtration and smoother running. I have found them to be great saws even if they cost slightly more than their older counterparts. Embrace the new technology and have fun.

Steve

/ Why $ difference MS291 vs MS290 (farm boss) #7  
I've punished my 290 w 20in bar for over 3 years now with no issues. Save the 120 dollars, buy a RSC (full chisel) chain for it, and start slingin wood.:D