Full throttle Stihl startup

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #1  

Wolfy

Veteran Member
Tractor
a fleet of them
Any owners of newer Stihls know how to start them at idle speed. Especially in the brush, Im not a fan of the OEM full throttle setup.:(

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #2  
My Stihl FS55RC string trimmer is also set up to start cold at full throttle and, like you, that just doesn't seem best to me, so I do go back to idle as quickly as possible when it starts. After it's warmed up, it can be shut down, and restarted at idle just fine. But I haven't used a Stihl chainsaw in more than 10 years, so I don't know about them.

/ Full throttle Stihl startup
Bird, I have a Stihl FS90R trimmer, it runs like you said. I don't get why they can start at idle yet the saws don't. Every time they start, its automatic full throttle.

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #4  
2 strokes depend on the lube in their fuel, WOT start ensures proper lubrication from the first fire

/ Full throttle Stihl startup
Fixemall, that makes sense. Maybe I should live with it.

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #6  
2 strokes depend on the lube in their fuel, WOT start ensures proper lubrication from the first fire

Maybe that's best for those engines, and I hope you're right. But my Mantis tiller uses the same 2-cycle fuel mix as the string trimmer and it has to be started at idle and allowed to warm up 2 to 3 whole minutes before you can speed the engine up. Try to open the throttle too soon and you just kill the engine.

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #7  
Maybe that's best for those engines, and I hope you're right. But my Mantis tiller uses the same 2-cycle fuel mix as the string trimmer and it has to be started at idle and allowed to warm up 2 to 3 whole minutes before you can speed the engine up. Try to open the throttle too soon and you just kill the engine.

It is set way too lean, give both the H and L a little fuel and it will last longer.

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #8  
It is set way too lean, give both the H and L a little fuel and it will last longer.

I won't dispute what you say, but I can tell you that the manual also says to allow it to warm up 2 to 3 minutes before using, and I've personally adjusted the carb to specs in the manual. And if you allow it to warm up, as the manual says, then it runs great at full throttle.

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #9  
On the saws, set the chain break and it will be at idle speed when it starts. Blip throttle takes it off full throttle, realeas chain break and you are in business.

Harry K

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #10  
I won't dispute what you say, but I can tell you that the manual also says to allow it to warm up 2 to 3 minutes before using, and I've personally adjusted the carb to specs in the manual. And if you allow it to warm up, as the manual says, then it runs great at full throttle.

You are mostly warming it up to protect the gearbox components, as far as tuning a two stroke there is only one proper way...run at WOT and turn the H screw open till it 4 strokes and then turn it back slowly till it stops 4 stroking, as far as the L, it should be set so a non warmed engine won't stumble when the throttle is blipped. I know others use tachs etc but I have done it by ear for over 20 years.