Chain saw curving while cutting question

/ Chain saw curving while cutting question #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
I have a Stihl HT101 polesaw. I installed a brand new chain last weekend & made only about 3-4 cuts, cutting the tops of recently installed 4x4 fence posts. Seemed to cut those fine.

We've been using this saw to cut 4x4 fence post tops because I can use a level & get a nice flat-top cut :thumbsup: My dad operates the powerhead while I guide the saw end making the horizontal cut. This has worked really great on about 300 previous posts :thumbsup:

So ... Next time we used the saw with the new chain (last night) to cut off a bunch more posts, the saw was really grabby & when I went ahead & let it start cutting into the wood it immediately curved upwards very strongly; I couldn't stop it from curving. We tried several more posts & every one was the same. My previous experience with curving chainsaws is simply, dull chain. But this chain is basically brand new :confused3:

It also seemed like the chain & bar was really hot :confused3: We tried adjusting the chain to make sure tension was proper, which it already was; Made sure everything was oily, & it was. I went ahead & cleaned the bar & bar holder area & tried it again: Same result. Super-curving cuts & bar got really hot very quickly.

I still had my previous chain, so I put it on instead & the saw cut fine; We were able to finish cutting all the posts with it. I was only using that new chain for insurance, to make sure if the previous chain had any dullness I would be avoiding having any curving cuts & therefore crooked fence post tops.

Anyway, when I got home I inspected each tooth on the curving chain. Every single one seems really sharp, no nicks or dullness I can see. It's all shiny as you would expect a new chain to be.

I also lined it up against an older, worn chain that worked great for a good while, & they look just like you'd expect; They match each other to a tee except the curving one looks new & the older one is a little dirty & its teeth need sharpening.

I will say, I'm still using the original bar & sprocket after about 3 years. The bar looks fine from what I can tell, but the sprocket does have some grooves in it. My dad thought the curving chain sounded "clicky" when I rotated it by hand, whereas he thought the old one I put back on didn't have the clicky sound.

While I have used a chainsaw many, many times, I wouldn't say I'm any kind of expert on chainsaw sharpening or determining for sure if one is sharp or not. I've always just used a chain until it's spitting out fine dust/ powder (usual) or starts curving (far less common).

Sorry for the long post ... But, from all this, what do you think is causing that chain to curve off so strongly that I can't even fight it??

/ Chain saw curving while cutting question #2  
That is interesting, any time I have seen this happen was due to one side being sharper than the other. Often times while cutting we would quickly dress up a saw, and if the person dressing it up didnt get the teeth going each way almost the same you end up with that curved cut. We always fixed it buy spending a little more time on the opposite side it was curving to.

Never seen it was a new chain though like you are saying.:confused2:

/ Chain saw curving while cutting question #3  
I have the HT131 and just love it. I also bought the angled head which is the best investment I have made for that saw! (I use mine for trimming Oak Trees)

Typically if a person sharpens their own chains they may get one side sharper than the other. Its easy to do over time if you are not judicious about using the same method for each side of the chain.

Another problem I have seen is if the bar is worn a bit more on one side of the track than the other. It will cause the chain to sit a touch askew and will cause the cut to run in the direction of the worn side. The quick test is flip the bar over and see what happens, but I would buy a new bar, they are cheap and they do wear out.

/ Chain saw curving while cutting question
Ah, yes, I did check the bar: It's groove seems nice & even, no obvious dents or nicks.

I will give it a try flipping it over.

/ Chain saw curving while cutting question #6  
I've had chains ruined from hitting metal where it rounded off an outside corner of all of the teeth. Sharpening didn't help because the defect was on the outer surface. It would cut, just not straight.

/ Chain saw curving while cutting question #7  
Are you sure you didnt hit a nail or something hard that caused the grabbing? That will sure make em grab and ding the teeth. It should be pretty noticeable tho. :confused3:
larry

/ Chain saw curving while cutting question
Are you sure you didnt hit a nail or something hard that caused the grabbing? That will sure make em grab and ding the teeth. It should be pretty noticeable tho. :confused3:
larry

I just really don't think so. I guess I cannot guarantee it, though. And there are no visual signs at all, to me, the non-expert of course.

/ Chain saw curving while cutting question #9  
One identical chain works and the other doesnt says somethings not identical. ...