Leaky Husqvarna

/ Leaky Husqvarna #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
Just replaced my ailing Poulan saws, a 16" and a 20" with 2 Huskys. A 16" 154 and a 20" 455 Rancher. Stihls were just a little bit too pricey. Both saws start easily and run great. I have a problem though with the 455 leaking bar oil. I bought hard cases for both saws and if put 2 shop rags under the 455 they will be drenched after a few days. Husky and my dealer say this is normal for larger saws. Other reports from the web say that some model/brands will and some won't leak oil.
It in no way effects the saws performance it's just a mess to clean up.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks in advance.
Mark from Maryland.

/ Leaky Husqvarna #2  
There's another thread here recently about a 455 leaking oil.

Neither my 242 Husky nor my Stihl 044 leak at all, so it's not "normal". It may be a trait of the 455, Husky seems to have really slipped badly in the past few years in my opinion.

Sean

/ Leaky Husqvarna #3  
My 357xp will leak oil if I use 10w(winter oil) in summer, fine when 30 or colder. It is also fine in summer if I run 30w.

/ Leaky Husqvarna #4  
Yep, take a look at what weight oil you are running.

And can you tell where the oil is leaking from? Around the cap? elswhere? That would help determine what the problem is.

Chilley807: IMO, husky hasnt really slipped in quality, it is just that their lower end saws seem to be comming more popular. And, well...they arent pro saws. These saws that can be bought at TSC or lowes arent really a true reflection of what the bigger pro huskys are like. But there lower end saws really arent much of a step above poulan.

/ Leaky Husqvarna #5  
My Stihl did that for years and then someone told me, when you go to put it away after use loosen the oil cap to relieve the pressure and you will be good to go, it helped a lot.:confused3:

/ Leaky Husqvarna #7  
I have a Husqvarna 235E and a STIHL MS290 (with a 25" bar :D) and neither of them leak. I did almost get a 455 vs. the STIHL but the prices were so close and my John Deere dealer is so great that i ended up getting the STIHL.

/ Leaky Husqvarna #8  
Both of my saws have leaked since new. It drives me crazy. Gizmo's idea seems like one to try.

/ Leaky Husqvarna #9  
Just bought a Stihl MS250 yesterday. Dealer put 7-8 paper towels in the bottom of the carrying case. Told me that all saws leak bar oil and if they don't you have a problem. He said only way to prevent leaking is to pour it out after use. I tend to believe this guy, he is a long time Stihl dealer/mechanic.

/ Leaky Husqvarna #10  
My Stihl did that for years and then someone told me, when you go to put it away after use loosen the oil cap to relieve the pressure and you will be good to go, it helped a lot.:confused3:

Many times this cures a saw leaking because of oil tank pressure. With the 455"s some have a larger problem and it has everything to do with the way the 2 small oil delivery lines (just over 2 ") go on to the saw fitting. Some of these outlets leak like crazy. I'd advise to take the saw back to where you bought it and have it serviced under warranty.