Stihl MS250

/ Stihl MS250 #21  
I have an ms250, ms390,and the great 031av that was my dads that he bought new when I was born. I love the 250 great little saw , I use it for limbing and small wood. The390 is my Horse that cuts all the big stuff. The 031, well she finally gave up after 34 years . The stihl dealer said it would cost more to fix it thans its worth so I sat her up on the shelf and think about all the wood she's cut over the years. Let me tell ya its been a **** of alot.

/ Stihl MS250 #22  
I work at a Stihl and Husqvarna sawshop and the MS 250 is my favorite saw to sell to homeowners. It is not so heavy to wear you out but it is heavy enough to cut 90% of what the average homeowner runs into. 99% of those who buy this saw brag about what a good saw it is.
As to the ethanol problem, it is probably best to use the pre mix 100% gas in a can. It just depends on how much you use your equipment. We see a lot of rotted fuel lines and just plain gunk in carbs. The best advice I can give is to use and mix your gas one gallon at a time unless you are a professional and use it in much greater quantities, run the highest octane, and use the ethanol treatment made by Starbrite or Sta-Bil. Even better if you can find 100% gas. One thing I do and I have yet to have to rebuild or put a piece of equipment in the shop is to crank and run everything at least every two or three weeks even through the winter. This will help with the water problem but the rotted gas lines is just something you will have to live with untill the manufacturers and after-market people come out with ethanol proof line. Oregon offers lawnmower fuel line for up to 40% ethanol. Nothing I know of yet on the smaller two cycle line.

/ Stihl MS250 #23  
Don't use the lowest grade gas either and that helps with what ever mix. I think the best is Opti2 fuel mix. I burn the mid and high octane fuels. As far as the fuel and oil caps I haven't had any problem with them at all. I don't have the 250 model 044, 026 and 046. The rest of them are Husky's.

I agree on the higher octance gas as well.

I just bought a MS250 yesterday and the manual says minimum 89 octane (midgrade) as recommended minimum.

/ Stihl MS250 #24  
I bought the MS290 last year, a little bigger than the 250 and has some more vibration dampening features. I don't cut a lot, but I thought that would make it easier to cut when I did. I opted for a short bar on it, can't remember if I got the 16 or 18 inch, but I know I didn't get the 20. I have my dad's 056 with a 22"(?maybe?) bar on it. It is a horse, it will cut through anything.

We cut a maple for a friend of mine who lived in town SEVERAL years ago. They had already had a pro cut all the limbs and everything, all we had left was the butt log, about 7' tall. Dad cut a notch then went to work cutting on the back side. He had to plunge cut straight in on the back and work his way around each side. It was a huge tree. Over 4' in diameter. We got it down. To load it we had to open up their chain link fence (not a gate, but unwind one of the wires) and use a winch to pull it across 2 lots to a corner lot that was gravel. Their house was built so close to the lot edges, and the fence was there, that we couldn't get the truck and trailer back to where the tree was! It was quite a days work.

/ Stihl MS250 #25  
Don't use the lowest grade gas either and that helps with what ever mix. I think the best is Opti2 fuel mix. I burn the mid and high octane fuels. As far as the fuel and oil caps I haven't had any problem with them at all. I don't have the 250 model 044, 026 and 046. The rest of them are Husky's.

Save yourself a little money and just buy the higher octane gas. Only buy enough that you don't let the jug sit more than a year. I have used my saws with the Opti2 that have sat for a year with no problem. Generally I run them out of fuel when I can. It is a mess trying to pour the fuel back into the gas jug. Any good fuel stabilizer helps.

I agree on the higher octance gas as well.

I just bought a MS250 yesterday and the manual says minimum 89 octane (midgrade) as recommended minimum.

This is a double-edged sword.

87 Octane outsells 89 and 93 combined by about a 10:1 ratio. When you buy higher octane fuels, it has a little longer of a shelf life before the octane has faded down to where it's "too low" to be useful. So, if you're buying 93 Octane, and it's been sitting in the tank at the station, it won't give you much more time before it, too, has degraded to the point where it doesn't meet the standards of the engine you're trying to run it in.

When you go to fill your 5 gallon can, add a high-quality stabilizer that's MEANT for ethanol-containing fuels. Always fill your gas can at the same time every month and just before you fill again, empty what's left into the tank of your car. That way, you will always have fresh fuel on hand for the small engines.

Don't leave gas in the carbeurators of your small engine equipment - close the fuel line (or empty the tank, like the saw manual states) and then run it until it dies - this keeps the gas from varnishing the carbs. When you mix fuel and oil, mix the smallest quantity that you can while keeping ratios correct. And, be sure to spread that fuel around through the different two cycle equipment to use it up.

As for the 250 - I just bought one myself to use for smaller work. My 290 is a much beefier saw (it's in the moderate use category and the 250 is in the light use category), but it's not something I like to be tossing around a lot when limbing or doing smaller work.

/ Stihl MS250 #26  
I mentioned on another thread I picked up a Dolmar PS-6400. And for kicks and grins I read the instruction manual.:laughing: It said minimum was 91 octane and higher was fine. It also stated in no uncertain terms to not leave gas in the tank for more than 30 days. :licking:Typically I buy the high octane anyhow for all of my saws chippers and wood splitters even for my Dodge Hemi truck. That's another story though. Anyhow good gas is key. If you can buy the non ethanol stuff even better. As mentioned a good gas stabilizer for ethanol flavored fuels sure helps. I have had good luck with the Opti2 for several years now..

/ Stihl MS250 #27  
FYI... i too just bought a MS250. Love it.

As a note the Stihl synth. oil that came with the saw already has the fuel stabilizer built in so no need for after market stabilizers in this case.

Cheers

/ Stihl MS250 #28  
FYI... i too just bought a MS250. Love it.

As a note the Stihl synth. oil that came with the saw already has the fuel stabilizer built in so no need for after market stabilizers in this case.

Cheers

I put stabilizer in the 5 gallon can before I fill it. I put the oil in a 1 gallon can then add fuel from the 5 gallon can - stabilizer is already in the fuel at that point. The minute amount extra won't hurt anything, and I need it in the fuel because that gets used for the push mower, generator, splitter, and the sleds.

/ Stihl MS250 #29  
I just bought my first chain saw! it is a Stihl MS250. I love it. Here is my problem: I bought one gallon of octane 87 fuel on my way home from the store. I didn't read the manual that says use 89 octane until after I got home. I have already mixed the fuel with Stihl oil. Can I still use the 87 octane or should I not chance it and go get some 89 octane gas? Thanks.

/ Stihl MS250 #30  
You can use it. Keep the saw running at near full throttle for your cuts. Should be no problem. Don't leave any gas in the tank for more than about a month if you can help it. When you get the chance just buy some higher flavored gas