Stihl MS250

/ Stihl MS250 #31  
You can use it. Keep the saw running at near full throttle for your cuts. Should be no problem. Don't leave any gas in the tank for more than about a month if you can help it. When you get the chance just buy some higher flavored gas

TM thanks for the quick response. I will run it through then but the higher octane next.

/ Stihl MS250 #32  
1 gallon will go a long way in a 250, but you should be OK. Just dont let it sit in the saw for more than a couple weeks.

/ Stihl MS250 #33  
I use 87 in both of my Stihl saws and have no issues.

/ Stihl MS250 #34  
I have not had any problems with any of the Stihls I own 028, 036 PRO, MS 440 short of occasional pull cord break or other minor issues. The 028 and 036 see the most use with cutting firewood, we heat with wood only. The 440 can seriously wear you out running it, so it has become a have to case. With the fuel becoming more crap in the last couple of years I have started using Cam2 racing fuel for my two strokes, it is fairly exspensive, but I only get 2 gal at a time. The saws start easier after a couple tanks, I have used a little fuel system cleaner in the gas and only use the Stihl mix. Most of my saws are 20+ yrs old and still give good service, can't go wrong with one.

Randy

/ Stihl MS250 #35  
Use non-ethanol gas when possible. Any octane with good synthetic oil. If you have to use ethanol gas , use premium only. Several manufacturers sell a SEF( small engine fuel). It has a two year self life after opening. Run your non-ethanol gas and at the end of the season for two cycles, run or pour out all the fuel and put enough SEF to get it cranked again and run it for a few minutes. This should take care of it until your ready to run again. But the best thing is just crank and run everything about once a month.

/ Stihl MS250 #36  
Use non-ethanol gas when possible. Any octane with good synthetic oil. If you have to use ethanol gas , use premium only. Several manufacturers sell a SEF( small engine fuel). It has a two year self life after opening. Run your non-ethanol gas and at the end of the season for two cycles, run or pour out all the fuel and put enough SEF to get it cranked again and run it for a few minutes. This should take care of it until your ready to run again. But the best thing is just crank and run everything about once a month.

There is generally no benefit to running premium fuel unless it happens to be ethanol free. The turnover rate at the station for premium us slow enough that it will have started to degrade by the time you buy it, and the octane level will have started to fall as a result.

/ Stihl MS250 #37  
Bought an MS 250 about two weeks ago. January 2013.
Tried it out today.
Used 90+ octane, sta bil, small amount of octane boost, brand new chain and saw.
Trying to cut an 18 hickory that had already been felled. Just tall stump.
Saw would not cut worth a crap. Engine ran good but chain would not cut good.
I was using a brand new full chisel Stihl chain on a 16" bar.
Cut into tree about three inches and chain started smoking. Not sure why. Checked oil reservoir and oil was going down, so bar and chain was getting oil..
Tried more cuts with no luck.
Stopped trying to cut.
Will take back to dealer this week.

/ Stihl MS250 #38  
The chain wasn't on backwards was it?

/ Stihl MS250 #39  
The chain wasn't on backwards was it?

Sounds like it was on backwards or their was some old fencing or nail in the tree. Nothing dulls chains as fast as steel in a tree. Dirt does give it a run for the money though

Dave

/ Stihl MS250 #40  
I've cut some pretty decent-sized trees with my 250, but the 291 clearly cuts faster through the really heavy stuff. The biggest thing with -any- saw is to let the saw do the work. If you're cutting felled logs, and they're horizontal, let the weight of the saw push through under its own weight. If you're cutting the remains of a stump, you want to keep the weight off of the saw and push in "lightly" to get it to cut. If the chain started to smoke, you were likely cutting in a way that caused it to not cut perfectly straight and it bound up. You may have damaged the bar and/or the guides on the chain itself if you did "twist" it.