Stihl MS250

/ Stihl MS250 #41  
Its weird, but I have the same saw, and I've had it do the same thing. Most of the time it turns out the chain was too tight. It seems like the chain is suppose to get looser as it gets hotter, but for some reason it seemed to get tighter. I've had this happe with two different Stihl chains also. Its seems like after I've used the chains several times, this problem went away. Another possibility is the deal that lies in front of the tooth. These are called rakers??? Sometimes they can be too high and need taken down a little with a file.

/ Stihl MS250 #42  
Its weird, but I have the same saw, and I've had it do the same thing. Most of the time it turns out the chain was too tight. It seems like the chain is suppose to get looser as it gets hotter, but for some reason it seemed to get tighter. I've had this happe with two different Stihl chains also. Its seems like after I've used the chains several times, this problem went away. Another possibility is the deal that lies in front of the tooth. These are called rakers??? Sometimes they can be too high and need taken down a little with a file.

The round files that many people use to sharpen a chain work well, but they do nothing for the rakers. As the tooth is sharpened, it actually gets shorter. If the rakers are not also shortened accordingly, they won't allow the tooth to cut into the wood enough (if at all). Get one of the sharpening tools that has files for the teeth AND the rakers and files both at the same time.

/ Stihl MS250 #43  
Stump cutting is hard on them if you get near the base at all you are going to pick up dirt, rocks, nails or whatever and dull the chain faster. Laying the saw on it's side it might not be picking up oil as fast as it needs. Like the other guy said chain is too tight. If that has an adjustable oiler crank it up a bit. Look at rakers as mentioned if you are spitting out little bits of sawdust instead of bigger chips then the chain is dull or rakers too high. Another big thing is cleaning out the oil port in the bar. A lot of guys forget that when swapping chains. Clean the bar groove out and the oil port...

/ Stihl MS250 #44  
I was cutting some large pine the other day with my 250... maybe 42" near the bottom.

I noticed I could not run the saw very long sideways... only when I had it one way sideways... not the other way.

It just starved for fuel with the tank fuel.

Got my litte Echo which runs well in all positons to make the last cuts because the way the hill was there was only one way to position the saw.

/ Stihl MS250 #45  
I was cutting some large pine the other day with my 250... maybe 42" near the bottom.

I noticed I could not run the saw very long sideways... only when I had it one way sideways... not the other way.

It just starved for fuel with the tank fuel.

Got my litte Echo which runs well in all positons to make the last cuts because the way the hill was there was only one way to position the saw.

Sounds like there is a problem with the fuel line pickup. I wonder if your fuel line is shot and sucking air. The saw should work fine on it's side

Dave

/ Stihl MS250 #46  
I was surprised too...

This one has only a couple of tanks of fuel through it... bought it so I wouldn't have to take the saw back and forth all the time... one for home and one for the family cabin.

/ Stihl MS250 #47  
I was surprised too...

This one has only a couple of tanks of fuel through it... bought it so I wouldn't have to take the saw back and forth all the time... one for home and one for the family cabin.

Something is wrong, if it still under warranty I'd be taking it back. The only time ive had a saw that didn't cut on it's side is because it was out of fuel. Stihl 041av 026,361,660 husky 353, 372. Unless stihl has incorporated some feature to get you to upgrade or switch brands in their lower priced models

Dave

/ Stihl MS250 #48  
My ms 250 is a half days job to getting it started then dont shut it off until your done ---will not start on that plug!---gotta put in another plug, then it may,(or not go)---next day switch plugs again!--fuel line from tank had to be replaced the second tank of fuel,---carb had to be re-built on the third tank!---ya' they great saws alright!!! LOL!!!---I like the way it cuts when you do get it running!---its hammer down and the brush will fly!
I have several different models and brands of saws and the $99.95 - to $109.99 give me the most reliable service!
The best saw I have ever owned/used is the Homelite 8800 (hot saw) with 36" bar--404 pitch chain! I used it for many years when we used to cut and sell firewood! thanks; sonny580

/ Stihl MS250 #49  
Sonny it sounds like you may have carb boot issues or worn seals in the crank. Possibly a gummed up carb as well. If you can do a compression test that might tell you something. Weak ground on the ignition module. Crud gumming up the magnet on the flywheel not giving you a good clean spark..

/ Stihl MS250 #50  
The ms 250 only has about 10 hours run time on it since new!---comp. must be ultra high because the rope pulls extreemly hard and only short pull!---I still think they should have put longer rope in them!---It was given to me by a neighbor because he never could get it started!(he should have taken it back to dealer, but he didnt!) he gave it to me because he said that he knew I could make it go!----spark looks strong and good bright blue color.---I do need to know what a plug number other than junk Champions would be correct to use in this saw, if anyone knows! (AC, NGK, MOTOCRAFT, ETC)! Not having any luck with Champion plugs in any of my engines! (small engines, tractors etc,)thanks; sonny580