Need a bigger saw

/ Need a bigger saw #21  
I've been running a Jonsered which is a Husky by another name and while it has been used mainly on pine it has it has taken a beating. Always give the teeth a couple of strokes with a file every time I fill up.

If you're looking for a TV commercial to recommend one try this:
Stihl Chainsaw Bequeathed - funny commercial - YouTube

/ Need a bigger saw #22  
Honestly I am in love with chain saws. I'm not to concerned about the money right now and the reason as to why I am working my way up in the size is because I am trying to build up my experience and skill before spending a ton of money on a pro saw that I don't have the experience to handle and end up hurting myself.

Good Idea working up as skill level permits. The larger 70cc+ saws with longer, wide nose bars and full chisel chain are a whole 'nother league of kick back than what you have been running. I've been using decent size saws for years and every now and again my MS441 will grab something and surprise me.

I grew up in NC where Hurricanes are more common and after every big storm you could just bet on a bunch of people going to the ER after chainsaw accidents. Most had never run a saw in their life and ran out and bought whatever the dealers had, including the BIG saws.

Anyways, hope your new saw works out well for you. My father has an old 039 Stihl (same as the newer 390) and he's used it tons considering it's a mid range saw. Just be careful, wind thrown trees, especially large ones can really do some crazy things when you cut them.

/ Need a bigger saw
Thanks so much for the advice I'm sure it won't disappoint! And as to the hurricane it is just terrible up here there are countless towns were the entire town has no power there are wires everywhere snapped poles. I was running my generator all yesterday let it easy over night ran it all day today. Smelled a burning smell while eating tonight went outside to find it spitting oil into my driveway that was on fire and had to run into it to kill it before it exploded the propane tank. So I'm taking it to get checked out tmrw hoping that it's an easy fix because I can't get a new one around here!

/ Need a bigger saw #24  
Thanks so much for the advice I'm sure it won't disappoint! And as to the hurricane it is just terrible up here there are countless towns were the entire town has no power there are wires everywhere snapped poles. I was running my generator all yesterday let it easy over night ran it all day today. Smelled a burning smell while eating tonight went outside to find it spitting oil into my driveway that was on fire and had to run into it to kill it before it exploded the propane tank. So I'm taking it to get checked out tmrw hoping that it's an easy fix because I can't get a new one around here!

Yup, I know all about it. Back in the mid-90's when hurricane Fran came through central NC we were without power for 10 days, didn't have a generator back then either....

/ Need a bigger saw
That's rough 10 days without a generator... Dont think the female members of my family would handle that to well... I hope everyone is doing okay down in NC I heard it was even worse there and now they are saying that an other one may be heading our way! All I can say is thank god for my IPhone or else I wouldn't be able to get my chainsaw advice!!
Thanks TBN!!
John

/ Need a bigger saw
Broke in the new saw today...could not be happier!!! Worked great an made quick work of all of my trees barley broke a sweat cutting all of them up! I have one more question for cutting techniques but I'm gonna start a new tread for that!

/ Need a bigger saw #27  
Honestly I am in love with chain saws. I'm not to concerned about the money right now and the reason as to why I am working my way up in the size is because I am trying to build up my experience and skill before spending a ton of money on a pro saw that I don't have the experience to handle and end up hurting myself.

Smaller shorter saws aren't any safer. just make sure you take breaks when you're tired and you keep the saw really sharp. If you aren't getting the saw so it cuts like you like it get filing guides and sthil has an ok safety and filing video. Some people who are pretty smart with that stuff have told me to use extra oil in the gas oil mix when working the saw extra hard make it 35 or 40 to 1 rather than 50:1. Opinions vary on that but it's treated me well so far.

/ Need a bigger saw #28  
Good thread...

I am currently looking at replacing my 6+ year old stihl 025. I have run about 80 plus cords of wood through it. Some of the stuff we have been felling is 20 to 30" at the but. It has always started on the second pull regardless of weather/warm/cold or down time with gas stored in it for 3-4+ months. I had it in for a tune-up in the spring... wouldn't idle - run. Tech said it has a scored piston. It ran fine for a while but it will not run now. Starts fine but when I give it gas/throttle it dies.... So I am looking at a bigger saw. Tech said basically I burnt out the saw trying to cut too big of logs.

Will look at a larger Stihl or a huska 24" rancher saw. I still have another very old stihl 25 in the shop... needs bar oil reserve tank replaced. When this saw returns I will use it for smaller trees and limb cutting.

Lloyd

/ Need a bigger saw #29  
My advise is if you think you will have plenty of use for it then go big. At least 70cc. It may be heavier but it will cut with less force applied by you. If you have to cut from the bottom up you will come to really like the fact that the larger saws need less force to cut.

/ Need a bigger saw #30  
I am a fan of the Husky 372 and 24 inch bar. We do use skip chains when cutting in conditions that require frequent sharpening.....less teeth to sharpen.