DR Rapid fire Log splitter???

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter???
Listening to the comments on arborist site, they are quite powerful splitters. But they do sometimes take more than one whack.

The motor wont stall even if the ram does because it is driven with a centrifigual clutch.

And there is go getting peices stuck. Because you just whack them again. If you run out of stroke and the peice is still hung up (taller peice than the wedge) you just use another peice to force it off with the next split. Same as a horizontal only hydraulic splitter.

And those rack and pinions seem to hold up pretty well. Those guys on AS that have them and have split hundreds of cords say that they show VERY little wear.

But I have not seen any of this first hand. Just going off what them guys say.

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter??? #52  
Has anyone heard how the supersplit with an electric motor works?

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter??? #54  
i read a few comments over at arborsite- enough to tell me that the TSC unit is not ready for prime time. Maybe version 2 will fix the glitches.

I will second that, firsthand. I bought mine from TSC on September 16th and loved it. That is, of course, til this past week when I returned it and got my money back. The rack lost 4 teeth already, 3 rounded over and 1 sheared off. The centrifugal clutch was also experiencing some difficulty, squealing as if the belts were loose when the motor got slowed down from forcing a knotty piece through. It was enough to let me know that this wasn't going to last for the long haul. I did split about 30 cord with it before the problems, but that's nothing compared to what I process in a season. Guess I'll be going the more expensive route and buying a super split or a comparable machine.
Shame, because this splitter was promising, but it needs the bugs worked out.

I am definitely sold on the mechanical splitters due to their sheer speed and lack of being stopped by wood that is difficult to split on hydraulic machines. The Speeco just isn't the one, at least not yet.

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter??? #55  
I have read all 6 pages of comments in this topic and I have some comments...

First off, if you're splitting firewood and not using a pickeroon you are working too hard bending over. Educate yourself on the tools of the trade and save your back!

If you are in love with your hydraulic splitter, cool! Just don't argue with the guy who likes his inertia splitter because it saves him time-money-labor!
It's like the difference between dial-up and DSL, I feel like I'm holding my breath waiting for that cylinder to return for the next piece of wood!

Honestly, I don't believe DR is making their splitter. I believe they are selling the SuperSplitter with the DR name on it. Just an observation...

Don't forget about the WoodWolf, it works on the same principal and is also cheaper [less expensive]than the SS & DR.

The Speeco SpeedPRO did just what I had in mind three years ago when I borrowed a SS Splitter. Mount the engine lower for a lower center of gravity, making the machine more easily towed from one site to the next.
I will probably by this unit and modify it so it can be towed from either end. This would allow me to [with an SS style table] fill my truck directly off the table instead of picking up every piece again. It will also allow me to move the tongue/hitch to the other end for use at the wood-yard or job-site where the wood will be picked up later by a landowner or when I just want to stockpile it for later.

When I borrowed the SS for two months, I just split as fast as I could [50 cords] and let the machine pile the wood and push itself forward. It tends to make a pile 5 to 6 feet high and as long as you want or until your trip for the next round is too far.
I do believe when I buy the Speeco I will ask for an extra 'pinion' to send out for the nitrogen dip, which I understand hardens/strengthens metals.

Just some thoughts from someone who has actually used this type of machine...

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter??? #56  
Almost forgot... If a round is too big/heavy to lift I simply kick it on its side and split it bark to bark with the saw. (search curly-fries on AS)

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter??? #57  
Honestly, I don't believe DR is making their splitter. I believe they are selling the SuperSplitter with the DR name on it. Just an observation...

Actually, the DR Splitter is NOT made by the SuperSplit folks. I had a few emails exchanged with SuperSplit to confirm this. DR copied their design

I also emailed DR (whose facilities are not far from where I live) and asked if they were making it or if it was a rebadged SuperSplit. They dodged the question, and just described the splitter, then said something like: Like all DR Products they are subject to hundreds of hours of testing and comparison.

When I emailed them back asking pointing out that they hadn't answered my question, they responded that they were making it.

I was astounded that they could get way with so closely copying the Supersplit design. To top it off, their marketing makes it sound as though they invented the concept

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter??? #58  
I do believe when I buy the Speeco I will ask for an extra 'pinion' to send out for the nitrogen dip, which I understand hardens/strengthens metals.

The problems I'm hearing with the Speeco unit - both here on TractorByNet and on other sites - are with the rack, not the pinion.

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter??? #59  
Actually, the DR Splitter is NOT made by the SuperSplit folks. I had a few emails exchanged with SuperSplit to confirm this. DR copied their design

I also emailed DR (whose facilities are not far from where I live) and asked if they were making it or if it was a rebadged SuperSplit. They dodged the question, and just described the splitter, then said something like: Like all DR Products they are subject to hundreds of hours of testing and comparison.

When I emailed them back asking pointing out that they hadn't answered my question, they responded that they were making it.

I was astounded that they could get way with so closely copying the Supersplit design. To top it off, their marketing makes it sound as though they invented the concept

Speeco, DR and the rest get away with it because the patent is up. Its unfortunate.