DR Rapid fire Log splitter???

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter??? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
For those of you who are serious firewood cutters, you've probabally heard of the Supersplit Logsplitters.

Totally different than a typical hydraulic unit and MUCH faster.

I would LOVE to have one, allthough I cannot justify the $2500 or so price tag.

So I just though I would share that DR has started making a SS copy. Looks like a nice machine as well. Allthough the price is still up there, I am hoping they become more popular and common and maybe the price will come down.

For my next project I undertake, I would actually like to build one. I was looking into this last year, and I honestly dont see why they are 2x's the cost of a hydraulic unit. I was pricing some of the main components, and I honestly think it would be cheaper to make a flywheel splitter than a hydraulic.

Some of the common components that would be a wash no matter the style:
Steel, beam, tires, axle, wedge, 6HP motor. These you could need either way.

But then you price a cylinder, valve, tank, filter, pump, hoses and that is close to $500 right there. VS...

A rack and pinion and a set of flywheels. I certainly think I could pick them up for under $500:confused2:

Again, the point of this thread is just to let some of you know that DR is making a inertia splitter. So maybe they will become more widespread and more affordable. But I honestly cannot see spending more than $1200 or so for one. Since you can buy a good speeco/huskee for that, or build one for $800-$900

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter??? #2  
If they ever make that into a vertical splitter, then it might be an option for me. Picking up logs and putting them on the table isn't really my cup of tea. Hard enough to lift them into the truck in the first place.

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter??? #3  
Very interesting. :cool:

Can these inertia based machines splitting forked logs and the really tough stuff like hydros can? :confused3:

I love the fact that it's purely mechanism based and not fluid powered. The engagement of the rack to the pinion looks like a high wear point. Looks like they just drop the rack right onto the pinion! :confused2:

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter???
Very interesting. :cool:

Can these inertia based machines splitting forked logs and the really tough stuff like hydros can? :confused3:

I love the fact that it's purely mechanism based and not fluid powered. The engagement of the rack to the pinion looks like a high wear point. Looks like they just drop the rack right onto the pinion! :confused2:

They claim they can split some tough stuff. And speaking of the Supersplit, there seem to be MANY happy owners and NOT many unhappy ones.

And they claim that the rack and pinion are good for several HUNDRED cords as well.

This is part of my hesitation on building one, because the ones DR and SS use are heat treated. And just basic stuff like McmasterCarr sells is not.

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter??? #5  
Happenned upon this site by way of a search for inertia splitters. Just found a much better deal on the flywheel type splitter today. Speeco now manufactures the inertia splitters and they are sold at some of the Tractor Supply stores. Our store just got one in today and I am picking it up on Saturday for the bargain price of $1700.00, almost exactly the same price as their top of the line hydraulic splitters. Just a little FYI if someone is looking for one.
Yes, they will split knotty wood, just takes a couple whacks some time to get through.
Also, the design of inertia splitters is so basic that very few parts can wear out or break. Bushings on the bottom of the splitting mechanism need replaced occasionally. Several friends of mine in the firewood business have the Super Split machines and nothing major has ever broken down. One of my buddies has had his for nearly twenty years and it still processes hundreds of cords per year.

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter??? #6  
These cycle in what? 2 or 3 seconds. You'll wrestle with say a 10" round for the 3 set ups to split the round 4 ways. I doubt you'll split the wood any faster than with a 4 way wedge on a traditional splitter that will acquire those 4 chunks in one cycle. The inertia splitters will split faster if only to halve the wood but I think things start to even out when having to quarter rounds. I'd need to see a comparison race with typical size rounds to be convinced they are faster than traditional splitters. I guess it depends on the size stem one likes to get to make firewood.

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter??? #7  
I have a 35 ton with a 4 way wedge. The 4 way is only good on certain size and types of logs. Try splitting elm or twisted anything with the 4 way. The flywheel splitter works well on anything but monster logs. I process roughly 300 - 400 cord a year as it stands with the hydraulic splitter, splitting a full cord in approximately an hour's time. The claim of the inertia splitter and what I've witnessed firsthand is that they process two full cord an hour. How is there a comparison?
Go to the DR website and watch the video of the two machines side by side, hydraulic vs inertia, with same size rounds and see for yourself.

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter???
These cycle in what? 2 or 3 seconds. You'll wrestle with say a 10" round for the 3 set ups to split the round 4 ways. I doubt you'll split the wood any faster than with a 4 way wedge on a traditional splitter that will acquire those 4 chunks in one cycle. The inertia splitters will split faster if only to halve the wood but I think things start to even out when having to quarter rounds. I'd need to see a comparison race with typical size rounds to be convinced they are faster than traditional splitters. I guess it depends on the size stem one likes to get to make firewood.

IT's not even close to evening out. The inertia type splitter is still faster.

The only thing that is faster is a full blown processor.

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter??? #9  
I have a 35 ton with a 4 way wedge. The 4 way is only good on certain size and types of logs. Try splitting elm or twisted anything with the 4 way. The flywheel splitter works well on anything but monster logs. I process roughly 300 - 400 cord a year as it stands with the hydraulic splitter, splitting a full cord in approximately an hour's time. The claim of the inertia splitter and what I've witnessed firsthand is that they process two full cord an hour. How is there a comparison?
Go to the DR website and watch the video of the two machines side by side, hydraulic vs inertia, with same size rounds and see for yourself.

There's always a comparison. Comparisons are what denote truth from fiction. Comparison does not always mean equal to but how one thing compares to another. I have witnessed the DR type splitter but not in comparison to a hydraulic so from what I've seen is raising the question for me. Also, one cannot factor in "wood types" as there will always be hang ups and splitter interuptions no matter what type of splitter one uses. We used to process 5 cords in about 7 hours give or take a half here and there. This was with cutting up stems on the landing, (mostly oak) pushing the rounds to the splitter (hydraulic) which had a 4 way on it, keeping the splitter non elevated or close to the ground and then conveyor belting these to a stake body that held 2.5 cords. We would do 2 truckloads per day when we were making firewood. Considering all the other things involved with splitting, I'm having a tough time believing that if we had a DR type splitter we would make even 12 cords for the days work as I know how hard it was to make 5 cords day in and day out while on the deck. In the meantime, I'll look for the "comparison video" you refer to.

/ DR Rapid fire Log splitter??? #10  
I watched the video the other day, and it looks like the cycle time is faster, so it can make more splits per hour. But you still have to manually move the wood around, so one's physical condition is the weakest link of the chain.